a pseudo-counterbrockage?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Feb 6, 2002
      I was alerted to this coin by ECIE member
      design elements, but didn't noticed the second set of
      raised lettering. I believe it is completely bogus, or a
      case of post-strike mint damage (pseudobrockage).
      Pseudobrockage occurs when struck coins are mashed together in
      mint machinery. Most of the time it's indistinguisable
      from a "sandwich job" created outside the
      mint.<br><br>I think this might be a pseudobrockage because the
      area on the left shows a roughened texture that is
      often encountered in pseudobrockages. Then again, who
      knows?<br><br>On the right, it looks like the obverse of another
      quarter was mashed into this coin. That left the mirror
      image, incuse obverse design elements. I believe this
      overlying quarter also picked up incuse elements from the
      coin into which it was impressed. Then the two coins
      were mashed together again in a slightly different
      position, leaving a countersunk raised image. If this is
      mint damage, you'd have to call it a
      "pseudo-counterbrockage". I had anticipated such kinds of damage existing,
      but this is the first case I've seen.<br><br>It's not
      worth anything, but it's neat just the same.
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.