what's going on here?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Feb 3, 2002
      I plunked down a few bucks to feed my curiosity
      about this
      I've never seen an effect like it. I suspect that the
      coin was heat-treated in some manner to produce this
      look. The fact that the rim bulges out in the NE
      quadrant seems to support this conjecture.<br><br>It can't
      be a "soft die strike", since the defect is located
      in the same place on both faces. If it is a real
      error, then it would have to be a problem with the zinc
      core. But, as I say, I'm pretty confident it's an
      alteration.<br><br>Has anyone come across a coin like this? The only
      error that remotely resembles this one is when a cent
      gets struck through a thin struck layer. Sometimes you
      see the same "collapsed" look to the letters. But
      this is clearly not any kind of a strike-thru.
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.