Re: Price for getting a coin slabbed

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 2005
      Last I heard, PCGS was charging $40 for errors, which doesn't include shipping and insurance both ways.  However, I'll let those who actually use these services provide the most recent information.

      In a message dated 10/5/05 8:12:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time, adkinstone@... writes:
      Really?

      PCGS and NGC slab and grade errors for just 8 Bucks?

      Thats a great deal!

      For some reason I thought the fees were above $25.

      I'd pay $8 for PCGS and NGC slabs services. I'll look into it.

      Thanks for the info! Lindy

    • mwallace56
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2005
        The fees vary, depending on how fast you want it done and in some
        cases, value of the coin. Here are links to the some of the services'
        fee schedules.

        NGC: http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp

        PCGS: http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml

        ANACS: http://www.anacs.com/services.html

        ICG: http://www.icgcoin.com/services.htm

      • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
          It looks like ANACS has the lowest price. I wonder
          why we do not see more errors in their slabs. At
          $40.00 at PCGS, they are just telling error collectors
          to go away.

          --- mwallace56 <mwallace56@...> wrote:

          > The fees vary, depending on how fast you want it
          > done and in some
          > cases, value of the coin. Here are links to the some
          > of the services'
          > fee schedules.
          >
          > NGC: http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp
          >
          > PCGS: http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml
          >
          > ANACS: http://www.anacs.com/services.html
          >
          > ICG: http://www.icgcoin.com/services.htm
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
          > "mrlindy2000"
          > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
          > > So you're thinking $40 plus the roundtrip fees,
          > then thats painful
          > > Mike.

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Steve Mills
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
            Actually, I don't have the aversion to grading companies most on the forum
            apparently have.

            I use ANACS because of price, when I want to have something in a slab.

            Personally, I don't like them for several reasons:

            1. I think they undergrade frequently, especially on less than full strikes. I
            believe it was Rich that said he buys these errors, breaks them out and sends
            them to NGC or PCGS for a proper grade.

            2. They are pompous and rude if you have a problem.

            3. I don't think they are even handed. Just a personal opinion and obviously,
            nonempiracle.

            4. As is frequently pointed out, some of the analysis is bad on complex errors.
            From what I've seen, ANACS is to worst at totally blowing sometimes simple
            errors.

            Just my perspective.

            Later.....
            Steve

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
              To keep things accurate, PCGS Charges are:

              $30 For Mint Errors (3weeks, generally)

              $16 For Mint Errors Economy (Error coins valued under $300)

              Don't know where everyone got the $40 figure.....?

              Fred

              --- In
              errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797@Y..."
              <bull102797@y...> wrote:
              > It looks like ANACS has the lowest price. I wonder
              > why we do not see more errors in their slabs. At
              > $40.00 at PCGS, they are just telling error collectors
              > to go away.
              >
              > --- mwallace56 <mwallace56@e...> wrote:
              >
              > > The fees vary, depending on how fast you want it
              > > done and in some
              > > cases, value of the coin. Here are links to the some
              > > of the services'
              > > fee schedules.
              > >
              > > NGC: http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp
              > >
              > > PCGS: http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml
              > >
              > > ANACS: http://www.anacs.com/services.html
              > >
              > > ICG: http://www.icgcoin.com/services.htm
              > >
              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
              > > "mrlindy2000"
              > > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
              > > > So you're thinking $40 plus the roundtrip fees,
              > > then thats painful
              > > > Mike.
              > >

              > __________________________________
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
            • byersnc
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                "Mint Errors $40. appx 45 days"

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg

              • bull102797@YAHOO.COM
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                  Maybe Fred gets a special rate ??

                  --- byersnc <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > "Mint Errors $40. appx 45 days"
                  >

                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                  > fred_weinberg
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > To keep things accurate, PCGS Charges are:
                  > >
                  > > $30 For Mint Errors (3weeks, generally)
                  > >
                  > > $16 For Mint Errors Economy (Error coins valued
                  > under $300)
                  > >
                  > > Don't know where everyone got the $40 figure.....?
                  > >

                  > > Fred
                  > >

                  > > --- In
                  > > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "bull102797@Y..."
                  > > <bull102797@y...> wrote:
                  > > > It looks like ANACS has the lowest price. I
                  > wonder
                  > > > why we do not see more errors in their slabs. At
                  > > > $40.00 at PCGS, they are just telling error
                  > collectors
                  > > > to go away.

                  > it
                  > the some

                  > http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp

                  > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                  > fees,

                  > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • seanqueue
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                    Fred, I also do not think mint errors are allowed on the economy tier,
                    at least not if you want the error described on the holder. PCGS
                    prices increased around April of this year, here is a link to their
                    current fee schedule:

                    http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml

                    I should also mention that the only errors or varieties I get
                    certified are the ones i'm selling. Anything I plan to keep in my
                    collection long-term stays raw, and if I buy it slabbed more often
                    than not it gets cracked out.

                    Sean Reynolds

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                      I didn't look at the Website, I am looking directly
                      at their submission invoice forms!!

                      Don't know why there is a difference.......

                      I don't get a special price......I pay whatever level
                      of service I want, depending on the error coins.......
                      either $16 or $30....

                      Fred

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                        Maybe the Dealer submission forms are different from
                        the Collectors Club Prices.....

                        I don't know.......

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                          Lindy, I hope I didn't open up a can of worms, but
                          I did go to the website, and see the $40 figure.

                          I have a Dealer Submission that lists $16 and $30....

                          You would have to email or call PCGS to see if those
                          cheaper rates apply.

                          I'm sorry to say (in advance) I cannot/will not take
                          submissions from others at these possible dealer-only rates.

                          In the past, I've found it too time-consuming, to both
                          write them up, and to keep track of them, with all of
                          the notices that I've rec'd the coins, I've shipped out
                          the coins, I haven't gotten back the coins, I've just
                          got back the coins, yes, I've shipped back the coins,
                          and all of the other things that are involved in keeping
                          track, getting the packages ready, listings, etc. etc........

                          I hope you all understand, but accepting submissions from
                          others GREATLY takes up too much time in my office.

                          Again, try to email or call PCGS to see if there are Mint
                          Error Tier rates less than $40.......

                          Fred

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
                            Lindy,

                            Most browsers, mine included, will only render an image at a maximum
                            of 240dpi, any more than that and your image doesn't get crisper, it
                            only gets larger. By the time those slab new pictures finished
                            resolving, Jefferson's head was bigger than mine. :)

                            Sean Reynolds

                            <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

                            > Did you notice? Today I bumped up my new all in one flatbed scanner
                            > unit to 600 on my often run ebay ad: 5c5cOn1c. I am pretty excited
                            > about the two much bigger slab scans, though I have broadband cable
                            > and it might be near impossible to load for slower internet access.
                            >
                            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8340851889
                            >
                            > Lindy

                          • Rafael Delgado
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                              Fred, Is it true that PCGS is a dealer's only slabbing
                              firm?

                              Rafael

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                Rafael,

                                I don't quite understand your question......

                                PCGS accepts submissions from collectors too, like any
                                TPG Service......(Third Party Grading Service)

                                Do you mean that PCGS is a "Dealers-Only" slabbing service?
                                If that's the question, then the answer is NO.

                                Fred

                              • Rich Johnson
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                  Hi Rafael. I like the question and answer and being a skeptic I ask
                                  do dealers get a better grading also???
                                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                                  <my_errors@y...> wrote:

                                  > Fred, Is it true that PCGS is a dealer's only slabbing
                                  > firm?
                                  >
                                  > Rafael
                                  >
                                  > --- fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Maybe the Dealer submission forms are different from
                                  > > the Collectors Club Prices.....
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't know.......
                                  > >
                                  > > Fred
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > > seanqueue
                                  > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > Fred, I also do not think mint errors are allowed on
                                  > > the economy
                                  > > tier,
                                  > > > at least not if you want the error described on the
                                  > > holder. PCGS
                                  > > > prices increased around April of this year, here is a
                                  > > link to their
                                  > > > current fee schedule:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I should also mention that the only errors or varieties
                                  > > I get
                                  > > > certified are the ones i'm selling. Anything I plan to
                                  > > keep in my
                                  > > > collection long-term stays raw, and if I buy it slabbed
                                  > > more often
                                  > > > than not it gets cracked out.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Sean Reynolds
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > > byersnc

                                  > > fred_weinberg

                                  > > under $300)

                                  > > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > > "bull102797@Y..."
                                  > > wonder
                                  > > collectors

                                  > __________________________________
                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Rafael Delgado
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                    Fred,
                                    You got it right.

                                    I had been told that only dealers could submit coins for
                                    authetication and grading at PCGS.

                                    Thanks for the answer.

                                    __________________________________
                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Rafael Delgado
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                      Hi Rich,
                                      I think Fred has ponited out, in a previous email, that he
                                      doesn't get any price privileges. So, I must speculate
                                      that, if he does not get any, nobody else would.

                                      I think his relation with PCGS has been very close and
                                      fruitful both technically and commercially. So there is
                                      little reason for anybody else to get special treatment
                                      besides him.

                                      Rafael

                                      __________________________________
                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Steve Mills
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                        FWIW I believe you do have to join and pay dues to some "club" in order to
                                        directly submit.

                                        Later.....
                                        Steve

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                          Yes, just like NGC and the ANA, for collectors/individuals
                                          to submit coins to PCGS you must join their "Collectors Club".

                                          Go to their website, and there are all of the details.....

                                          I don't get special pricing; I don't get special grades (NO
                                          dealer does) - I do hope I get my stuff back a week or two earlier
                                          than others, but that's about it !!

                                          Also, as mentioned before, I also do NOT get paid by PCGS
                                          to authenticate/describe Major Mint Errors for their Mint
                                          Error Program.....There are numerous intangible benefits
                                          I receive - and some of those benefits are good for the
                                          entire error hobby, not just me !!

                                          Fred

                                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Mills"

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 7, 2005
                                            I never realized that, Fred.  Those "intangibles" must be prodigious then, to make such time-consuming work worthwhile.