Bubbles on a copper plated coin

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      You can have a look at:
      http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error5cts7td.jpg
      Please click the image for a larger picture with full detail.

      The thing is that the bubbles came after strike and they are vey high
      and big, really odd. The bubbles mantain the design in the date 2003,
      so it's all after strike. The coin is Spain 5 euro cent and about a
      nickel size.
      Do you think the coin was intentionally damaged???
      Thanks
      Benjamin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
        Is this a plated coin? If so, these could be areas of subsurface
        corrosion that lifted up the plating and eventually "popped". Or it
        could have begun as small punctures in the plating that allowed
        corrosive substances to begin eating away at the underlying metal,
        creating the same sort of effect.

        I suppose it could have been intentionally damaged as well. These
        don't look like bubbles that arise from heat damage.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Ben"