Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Peculiar double-strike

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      LOOKS LIKE AN OVERSTRIKE TO ME? THEN AGAIN, WHAT DO I KNOW?  hahahaa
      THIS SELLER TENDS TO SELL ERROR COIN HERE AND THERE, USUALLY OVERPRICED OR AT LEAST ON THE HIGH SIDE..HE DOES HOWEVER SELL NICE COINS, BETTER DATE STUFF......VERY FEW ERRORS....PERHAPS BUY THE COIN MIKE, BUT ASK FOR A RETURN POLICY.......
      ROB

      Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
      I was tempted to buy this unusual-looking double-strike, but held off
      due to the advanced state of wear:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8337749013

      The wear would probably prevent me from determining exactly what
      happened.  Why is the first strike confined to one pole?  Was the first
      strike a tilted die error (vertical misalignment)?  Is this actually an
      overstrike rather than a double-strike?  The few letters and numbers I
      think I can distinguish from the first strike do not appear to match
      those on the second strike.  Could it be that the assumed first strike
      was impressed later by some token or medal dies?  The "first strike"
      appears to be slightly off-center as well.  Was the first strike tilted
      AND off-center?

      I tend to avoid coins this old, as the minting methods and quality
      control are not the same as in later decades.

      Yahoo! for Good