Re: slabbing

  • mwallace56
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
      Mike,

      I actually agree with you and Lindy 100%. I have been collecting
      errors for about 30 years now, and until recently had NEVER sent one
      in to be slabbed or even bought one slabbed. I too do as you two say
      you do, i.e. weigh each piece, check the edges, check specific gravity
      when necessary, etc., etc., etc. However, with that being said, I'm
      not getting any younger. One day I'll no longer be here. Slabbed coins
      are simply a numismatic reality today. Slabbed coins are easier to
      sell and usually bring more money. I have no intention of selling any
      of my coins, but I want to make it easier for my heirs to, so I've
      begun sending in some of the better pieces. A friend of mine, who also
      resisted slabbing for years began slabbing his coins a few years ago
      for the same reason. I eventually followed suit.

      Mike W.

    • mdia1@aol.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
          Slabbing wouldn't do me much good. Most of my coins are
          those "obscure, subtle, novel, complex, and compound" errors that
          grading services are not well-equipped to deal with. I can see
          slabbing some errors like Sac/SBA or SBA/Sac transitional errors, where
          fakery could be a problem.

          I've been slowly selling off my redundant and lower-quality specimens,
          as well as ones I've finished researching or otherwise lost interest
          in. I intend to continue to do so until my collection is down to an
          essential core. That way my heirs won't have so much to worry about.
          Also, by selling off some coins I can afford to buy new ones!