Not sure what I just bought

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2005
      This is one of my "let's bid and see" shots in the dark:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=8339648067

      It's certainly not a "die break" as described by the seller. It most
      resembles an unusual form of strike doubling which results in metal
      being pushed to the side and piled up. The affected margins
      show "slide". So this may be true ejection doubling, if there was a
      delay in retraction of the hammer die as the coin was being pushed out
      of the striking chamber. Or it could be due to the obverse die
      shifting laterally during retraction.
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
        This was too interesting to pass up:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220088582690

        It could be pre-strike damage or the planchet could have been
        intrinsically lumpy and irregular. As I recall, this coin weighs a
        normal 5 grams. Matt Lenore used to have it on his website for a much
        higher price, so I'm glad I waited.

        I have seen intrinsically lumpy nickel planchets, but not as bad as
        this. I'm not sure at all what the cause is.

        Judging from the last several auctions I've been involved in, it
        doesn't seem like the Washington dollar mania has translated into
        increased prices in other categories. That suits me just fine.
      • trialsmatt
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
          Mike, I think you'll be very pleased with this coin. It's pretty
          amazing to look at. I've been pretty surprised at some of the prices
          for genuinely rare and interesting errors recently, especially in
          light of all the money tossed at the presidential dollars.

          Matt

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
            Thanks, Matt. I'm sure it will prove an interesting study. Did you
            come to any conclusions as to why it presents such an odd
            appearance? For comparison, I have one off-center nickel struck on a
            planchet with a wierd swirly texture on one face and a double-struck
            nickel with a wierd, lumpy edge texture. Nickel planchets as a whole
            present a greater range of textures than any other U.S.
            denomination. I'm not sure why this is.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "trialsmatt"
            <scubafuel@...> wrote:

            > Mike, I think you'll be very pleased with this coin. It's pretty
            > amazing to look at. I've been pretty surprised at some of the
            prices
            > for genuinely rare and interesting errors recently, especially in
            > light of all the money tossed at the presidential dollars.
            >
            > Matt

            > <mdia1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This was too interesting to pass up:
            > >
            > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220088582690
            > >
            > > It could be pre-strike damage or the planchet could have been
            > > intrinsically lumpy and irregular. As I recall, this coin weighs
            > > normal 5 grams. Matt Lenore used to have it on his website for a
            > much
            > > higher price, so I'm glad I waited.
            > >
            > > I have seen intrinsically lumpy nickel planchets, but not as bad
            > as
            > > this. I'm not sure at all what the cause is.
            > >
            > > Judging from the last several auctions I've been involved in, it
            > > doesn't seem like the Washington dollar mania has translated into
            > > increased prices in other categories. That suits me just fine.

          • Rob Risi
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
              Does anyone know the correct weight in "grams" for the new washington dollars?  They must be very close to the sac dollars, but i would assume they would be different.
              THANKS GUYS
              ROB

              <scubafuel@. ..> wrote:

              > Mike, I think you'll be very pleased with this coin. It's pretty
              > amazing to look at. I've been pretty surprised at some of the
              prices
              > for genuinely rare and interesting errors recently, especially in
              > light of all the money tossed at the presidential dollars.
              >
              > Matt
              >

              > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Diamond"
              > <mdia1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This was too interesting to pass up:
              > >
              > > http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& Item=22008858269 0
              > >
              > > It could be pre-strike damage or the planchet could have been
              > > intrinsically lumpy and irregular. As I recall, this coin weighs
              > > normal 5 grams. Matt Lenore used to have it on his website for a
              > much
              > > higher price, so I'm glad I waited.
              > >
              > > I have seen intrinsically lumpy nickel planchets, but not as bad
              > as
              > > this. I'm not sure at all what the cause is.
              > >
              > > Judging from the last several auctions I've been involved in, it
              > > doesn't seem like the Washington dollar mania has translated into
              > > increased prices in other categories. That suits me just fine.

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

            • Adam Miller
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                8.05 Grams Is the avg weight of those I've been through.

                --
                God Bless,
                Adam Miller

                Ozark Mountain Photography
                www.handsguidedbygod.com

                Kay's Gifts & More
                (Gifts, Electronics, Collectibles, & More)
                http://www.giftshopsavings.com/
              • Rob Risi
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                  RESFRESH MY MEMORY ON WHAT A SAC DOLLAR WEIGHS IN GRAMS?
                  THANKS
                  ROB

                  <scubafuel@.. .> wrote:

                  > Mike, I think you'll be very pleased with this coin. It's pretty
                  > amazing to look at. I've been pretty surprised at some of the
                  prices
                  > for genuinely rare and interesting errors recently, especially in
                  > light of all the money tossed at the presidential dollars.
                  >
                  > Matt
                  >

                  > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Diamond"
                  > <mdia1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This was too interesting to pass up:
                  > >
                  > > http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem&Item=220088582690
                  > >
                  > > It could be pre-strike damage or the planchet could have been
                  > > intrinsically lumpy and irregular. As I recall, this coin weighs
                  > > normal 5 grams. Matt Lenore used to have it on his website for a
                  > much
                  > > higher price, so I'm glad I waited.
                  > >
                  > > I have seen intrinsically lumpy nickel planchets, but not as bad
                  > as
                  > > this. I'm not sure at all what the cause is.
                  > >
                  > > Judging from the last several auctions I've been involved in, it
                  > > doesn't seem like the Washington dollar mania has translated into
                  > > increased prices in other categories. That suits me just fine.

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                  --
                  God Bless,
                  Adam Miller

                  Ozark Mountain Photography
                  www.handsguidedbygo d.com

                  Kay's Gifts & More
                  (Gifts, Electronics, Collectibles, & More)
                  http://www.giftshop savings.com/

                  The fish are biting.

                • Adam Miller
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                    I think it's 8 Grams

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                      The official weight for a Sac dollar is 8.1 grams. The Washington
                      dollars are struck on the same planchets so the weight should be the
                      same.

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Miller"
                      <adammiller69@...> wrote:

                      > I think it's 8 Grams
                      >
                      > On 3/12/07, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > RESFRESH MY MEMORY ON WHAT A SAC DOLLAR WEIGHS IN GRAMS?
                      > > THANKS
                      > > ROB
                    • fred_weinberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                        As Mike just mentioned the weight of both the
                        Sacagawea and Presidential Dollars is:

                        8.1 grams 125 grains

                        Same planchets for both.

                        I've noticed that the Lettered Edge coins seem to
                        show alot less of the copper core color; is it due
                        to the Edge Lettering Machine effect, or something
                        else?

                        It's noticeable if you hold 10 coins together;
                        the edge just doesn't show the copper core like you
                        see on a Plain Edge Sacagawea.I'm guessing that it
                        has to do with the metal flow in the Edge Lettering
                        process, but we'll have to see.

                        By the way, I just picked up on Friday afternoon from
                        a local coin shop here in "The Valley" 70 pieces of
                        Plain Edge 2007-D Dollars. A lady got a box from
                        her bank here, (Who told her quote "Don't Waste your
                        time looking for those errors - they're all in Florida")

                        Tom Delorey is doing some research to determine if there
                        is a definitive way to tell the plain edge P/D's apart
                        from each other.......

                        <mdia1@...> wrote:

                        > The official weight for a Sac dollar is 8.1 grams. The Washington
                        > dollars are struck on the same planchets so the weight should be
                        the
                        > same.
                        >
                        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Miller"
                        > <adammiller69@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I think it's 8 Grams
                        > >
                        > > On 3/12/07, Rob Risi <rjrisi@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > RESFRESH MY MEMORY ON WHAT A SAC DOLLAR WEIGHS IN GRAMS?
                        > > > THANKS
                        > > > ROB

                      • Adam Miller
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                          Are the plain edges being found in rolls, bags, or both?????

                          --
                          God Bless,
                          Adam Miller

                          Ozark Mountain Photography
                          www.handsguidedbygod.com

                          Kay's Gifts & More
                          (Gifts, Electronics, Collectibles, & More)
                          http://www.giftshopsavings.com/
                        • Marc
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                            Fred, that's GREAT NEWS! I knew it was time for another California
                            Gold Rush!

                            (More collectors/investors/speculators to get involved on both
                            coasts...)

                            >>Fred wrote:
                            >>By the way, I just picked up on Friday afternoon from
                            >>a local coin shop here in "The Valley" 70 pieces of
                            >>Plain Edge 2007-D Dollars. A lady got a box from
                            >>her bank here, (Who told her quote "Don't Waste your
                            >>time looking for those errors - they're all in Florida")
                          • portpere
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                              That was my question early on. How can anyone verify which mint
                              produced a plain edged Presidential Dollar? Unless there are PUP's
                              from a known die pair, would the verifying agency need to be the ones
                              who opened the mint roll or bag? Fred's word is good enough for me,
                              but I'm afraid that some may misrepresent P mint plain edges as D
                              mint plain edges on eBay and elsewhere. I for one, would like to have
                              a couple of slabbed pairs of these dollars. I have my P mints, but
                              depending on what happens in Denver, the D mints could have an
                              exponential value.
                              John

                              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
                              <numismistake@...> wrote:

                              > Fred, that's GREAT NEWS! I knew it was time for another California
                              > Gold Rush!
                              >
                              > (More collectors/investors/speculators to get involved on both
                              > coasts...)
                              >
                              > >>Fred wrote:
                              > >>By the way, I just picked up on Friday afternoon from
                              > >>a local coin shop here in "The Valley" 70 pieces of
                              > >>Plain Edge 2007-D Dollars. A lady got a box from
                              > >>her bank here, (Who told her quote "Don't Waste your
                              > >>time looking for those errors - they're all in Florida")

                            • Al C.
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                                I think that would be tough to prove what mint the
                                coins are from. I could put some of my smooth edge
                                coins into a roll of D mint coins, and re-wrap them,
                                who would know. So if I see any on Ebay, I would not
                                buy them.:)

                                --- portpere <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                > That was my question early on. How can anyone verify
                                > which mint
                                > produced a plain edged Presidential Dollar? Unless
                                > there are PUP's
                                > from a known die pair, would the verifying agency
                                > need to be the ones
                                > who opened the mint roll or bag? Fred's word is good
                                > enough for me,
                                > but I'm afraid that some may misrepresent P mint
                                > plain edges as D
                                > mint plain edges on eBay and elsewhere. I for one,
                                > would like to have
                                > a couple of slabbed pairs of these dollars. I have
                                > my P mints, but
                                > depending on what happens in Denver, the D mints
                                > could have an
                                > exponential value.
                                > John
                                >
                                > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                > "Marc"
                                > <numismistake@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Fred, that's GREAT NEWS! I knew it was time for
                                > another California
                                > > Gold Rush!
                                > >
                                > > (More collectors/investors/speculators to get
                                > involved on both
                                > > coasts...)

                                > from
                                > of
                                > your
                                > Florida")

                                Need Mail bonding?
                              • fred_weinberg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                                  At this point, I agree that it's just about impossible
                                  to determine which mint they came from, and Tom's examination
                                  of the single D he's seen is not conclusive of anything
                                  that we can confirm is ALWAYS on either Mint's edges/coins.

                                  At this point, I'm keeping them seperate, till I feel sure
                                  that we CAN'T differentiate them.

                                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."

                                  ______________
                                  > Need Mail bonding?

                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                                    I'd be bold enough to Say it is the Philly Mint only, given their
                                    track record.

                                    From an observer of "Grandfather Time" and a collector in the
                                    here-and-now, this is my stand-point, all odds indicate it to be so.

                                    Relishing only the truth in the matter -- as a Collector and Observer.

                                    Another point not to be over-looked......and IS historical EVIDENCE...

                                    If you truly Study demarcation, and distro lines, they are in place,
                                    if the majority are from the Jack, Florida area, then put two and two
                                    together.

                                    It is a no Brainer.

                                    Jeff

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 20, 2007
                                      After studying it under a microscope, I've concluded that the odd,
                                      lumpy texture is the result of pre-strike damage. The surface is
                                      covered with innumerable percussion pits. There is no cracking or
                                      flaking, as might be expected were this an intrinsic property of the
                                      planchet. It's certainly not a proof planchet, but the planchet may
                                      have tumbled around in...something. Maybe it got trapped in the
                                      annealing drum or the drum that swirls the planchets around in the
                                      chemical rinse bath. However, arguing against both these scenarios
                                      is the complete absence of normal tumbling marks. It's all guesswork
                                      at the moment.