Retained cud or asymmetrical split die?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
      Although described as a retained cud, I think this is more likely to be
      an asymmetrical split die:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8337976701

      I see no sign of vertical displacement, and there is no horizontal
      offset. If there is only lateral spread (as appears to be the case)
      that would indicate that the die fragment was still probably attached
      to the shank.

      I remember seeing this (or a very similar coin) several years ago. It
      was auctioned off by Mike Ellis on eBay and purchased by the late Pete
      Bishal. I was second bidder. This time around I got it for $8 less
      than the original price. Mike Ellis featured the coin in Errorscope in
      his "This And That" column. I'm pleased to add it to my collection of
      spontaneous die failures.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
        As I suspected, it is an asymmetrical split die. There is no
        vertical displacement and no horizontal offset. Only lateral
        spread. That indicates that the area circumscribed by the raised
        line was still attached to the die shamk. The crack must have
        propagated straight up or deviated medially. I was hoping to add a
        good example to my collection, and this fills the bill nicely.