Re: My 1982 off-metal cent story

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
      Mike Wallace- here's a link to the U.S. 25c struck over the brass
      arcade token that you mentioned in your post. I bought it several
      years ago out of a Bowers and Merena Auction:

      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569o.jpg

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mwallace56"
      <mwallace56@e...> wrote:
      > A recent experience of my own, coupled with the discussion here in
      the
      > post titled "Off-metal cent from last month", has propelled me to
      > share my off-metal 1982 1¢ story. I prefer not to mention the
      real
      > name of the company I sent it to. I’ll use the name XYZ
      Grading
      > Company in it’s place.
      >
      > In 1986 I sent a 1982 Cent off-metal to XYZ Grading Company to be
      > authenticated. It was clearly not struck on a U.S. 10¢ planchet
      and I
      > had already done all of the necessary research to determine if it
      was
      > struck on a foreign planchet. It was not. After about 3 months I
      > called them to check it's status. They stated that it was
      DEFINITELY a
      > genuine mint product, but since they couldn't determine what
      planchet
      > it was on they were NOT going to issue an authentication
      certificate
      > (this was in the day before slabs). I argued with them that I
      already
      > knew it was on an unidentified planchet and that I just wanted it
      > authenticated as a genuine mint product just as they had already
      > stated that it was. After several days they finally agreed to issue
      > authentication papers. The papers state "Struck on unidentifiable
      > planchet".
      >
      > About 4 months ago I decided to send it to present day XYZ Grading
      > Company to have it slabbed. I put on the submission form "Struck on
      > unidentifiable planchet". Much to my surprise it was returned
      labeled
      > "Struck on a Dominican Republic 10¢ planchet". After thinking
      about it
      > for a while, I returned it to them for re-examination.
      >
      > Here is an edited version of my letter to them stating my
      arguments as
      > to why I thought they were wrong.
      >
      > ============
      > Please reconsider this coin. It’s my belief that it’s
      struck
      on an
      > unidentifiable planchet instead of a Dominican Republic 10¢
      planchet.

      > Here are my reasons:
      >
      > 1) A Dominican Republic 10¢ weighs 2.5 grams. This coin weighs
      2.05
      > grams (31.7 grains), nearly 20% less.
      >
      > 2) A Dominican Republic 10¢ is composed of 75% Cu / 25% Ni.
      When
      > sent this coin to XYZ Grading Company in 1986 they did an analysis
      of
      > it and determined that it is 69% Cu / 31% Ni.
      >
      > 3) This coin is dated 1982. The U. S. Mint did not strike
      Dominican
      > Republic Dimes in 1982.
      >
      > Any of the above points can be explained away individually, i.e.
      > composition within tolerance or coin struck on a leftover planchet.
      > However, I believe that explaining away all three on one coin is
      > highly unlikely.
      >
      > I sent it to XYZ Grading Company in 1986. It was determined then
      that
      > it was "Struck on Unidentifiable Planchet". Copy of certificate
      attached.

      > It was around 1982 that the Mint began purchasing planchets from
      > outside manufacturers. Some these outside manufacturers also made
      > planchets for various other customers. Therefore it’s
      conceivable that
      > almost anything could get mixed in with the planchets intended for
      the
      > U. S. Mint. In fact, a Quarter (1983 I think) is known struck on an
      > arcade game token which was undoubtedly mixed in with Quarter
      > planchets when sent to the Mint.
      >
      > In conclusion, I am a collector that simply wants the coins in my
      > collection to be accurately described. I am in no way trying to
      > increase it’s value. In fact, I think it’s worth more
      struck
      on a
      > leftover planchet than on an unidentified planchet.
      >
      > END OF LETTER
      > ============
      >
      > I had always heard that once a decision was made, it was easier to
      > move mountains than to get them to change their mind. However, to
      > their credit (and my irrefutable evidence), they agreed. Much to my
      > surprise I received it back slabbed "Struck on Unidentified
      Planchet".

      > Mike Wallace
    • mwallace56
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        Yep, that's the one. NICE, NICE coin. It's been around 20 years since
        I've seen it. I guess you could say it was love at first site because
        I've always remembered it. ;-)

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
          It even says "THIS IS MY LUCKY DAY". Cute beyond belief.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
            Even though it's for sale in my website, if it never sells that's
            fine with me. It's one of my favorite all time mint errors!!

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
              http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569r.jpg

              reverse scan

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Even though it's for sale in my website, if it never sells that's
              > fine with me. It's one of my favorite all time mint errors!!
              >
              > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569o.jpg
              >

              > Mike Byers
              > http://mikebyers.com

              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
              Diamond"

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                Just curious: How is it possible to determine the amount of wear when
                so little of the host coin's design is peeking through?

                <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
                > Here's a xerox of a 43P war nickel strike on a worn out 1909 V 5c
                > that I was offered years ago. I never asked the price.
                >

                > http://users.adelphia.net/~adkinstone/war5cV5c.jpg
                >
                > Lindy
              • mwallace56
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                  There's another curious, and dubious, piece pictured in Breen's
                  Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins. It's a 1970-S Proof
                  Quarter overstruck on a 1900 Barber Quarter.