My 1982 off-metal cent story

  • mwallace56
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
      A recent experience of my own, coupled with the discussion here in the
      post titled "Off-metal cent from last month", has propelled me to
      share my off-metal 1982 1¢ story. I prefer not to mention the real
      name of the company I sent it to. I’ll use the name XYZ Grading
      Company in it’s place.

      In 1986 I sent a 1982 Cent off-metal to XYZ Grading Company to be
      authenticated. It was clearly not struck on a U.S. 10¢ planchet and I
      had already done all of the necessary research to determine if it was
      struck on a foreign planchet. It was not. After about 3 months I
      called them to check it's status. They stated that it was DEFINITELY a
      genuine mint product, but since they couldn't determine what planchet
      it was on they were NOT going to issue an authentication certificate
      (this was in the day before slabs). I argued with them that I already
      knew it was on an unidentified planchet and that I just wanted it
      authenticated as a genuine mint product just as they had already
      stated that it was. After several days they finally agreed to issue
      authentication papers. The papers state "Struck on unidentifiable
      planchet".

      About 4 months ago I decided to send it to present day XYZ Grading
      Company to have it slabbed. I put on the submission form "Struck on
      unidentifiable planchet". Much to my surprise it was returned labeled
      "Struck on a Dominican Republic 10¢ planchet". After thinking about it
      for a while, I returned it to them for re-examination.

      Here is an edited version of my letter to them stating my arguments as
      to why I thought they were wrong.

      ============
      Please reconsider this coin. It’s my belief that it’s struck on an
      unidentifiable planchet instead of a Dominican Republic 10¢ planchet.

      Here are my reasons:

      1) A Dominican Republic 10¢ weighs 2.5 grams. This coin weighs 2.05
      grams (31.7 grains), nearly 20% less.

      2) A Dominican Republic 10¢ is composed of 75% Cu / 25% Ni. When I
      sent this coin to XYZ Grading Company in 1986 they did an analysis of
      it and determined that it is 69% Cu / 31% Ni.

      3) This coin is dated 1982. The U. S. Mint did not strike Dominican
      Republic Dimes in 1982.

      Any of the above points can be explained away individually, i.e.
      composition within tolerance or coin struck on a leftover planchet.
      However, I believe that explaining away all three on one coin is
      highly unlikely.

      I sent it to XYZ Grading Company in 1986. It was determined then that
      it was "Struck on Unidentifiable Planchet". Copy of certificate attached.

      It was around 1982 that the Mint began purchasing planchets from
      outside manufacturers. Some these outside manufacturers also made
      planchets for various other customers. Therefore it’s conceivable that
      almost anything could get mixed in with the planchets intended for the
      U. S. Mint. In fact, a Quarter (1983 I think) is known struck on an
      arcade game token which was undoubtedly mixed in with Quarter
      planchets when sent to the Mint.

      In conclusion, I am a collector that simply wants the coins in my
      collection to be accurately described. I am in no way trying to
      increase it’s value. In fact, I think it’s worth more struck on a
      leftover planchet than on an unidentified planchet.

      END OF LETTER
      ============

      I had always heard that once a decision was made, it was easier to
      move mountains than to get them to change their mind. However, to
      their credit (and my irrefutable evidence), they agreed. Much to my
      surprise I received it back slabbed "Struck on Unidentified Planchet".

      Mike Wallace
    • byersnc
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        Mike Wallace- here's a link to the U.S. 25c struck over the brass
        arcade token that you mentioned in your post. I bought it several
        years ago out of a Bowers and Merena Auction:

        http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569o.jpg

        Mike Byers
        http://mikebyers.com

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mwallace56"

      • mwallace56
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
          Yep, that's the one. NICE, NICE coin. It's been around 20 years since
          I've seen it. I guess you could say it was love at first site because
          I've always remembered it. ;-)

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
            It even says "THIS IS MY LUCKY DAY". Cute beyond belief.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
              Even though it's for sale in my website, if it never sells that's
              fine with me. It's one of my favorite all time mint errors!!

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
                http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569r.jpg

                reverse scan

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Even though it's for sale in my website, if it never sells that's
                > fine with me. It's one of my favorite all time mint errors!!
                >
                > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/569o.jpg
                >

                > Mike Byers
                > http://mikebyers.com

                > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
                Diamond"

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Just curious: How is it possible to determine the amount of wear when
                  so little of the host coin's design is peeking through?

                  <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
                  > Here's a xerox of a 43P war nickel strike on a worn out 1909 V 5c
                  > that I was offered years ago. I never asked the price.
                  >

                  > http://users.adelphia.net/~adkinstone/war5cV5c.jpg
                  >
                  > Lindy
                • mwallace56
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                    There's another curious, and dubious, piece pictured in Breen's
                    Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins. It's a 1970-S Proof
                    Quarter overstruck on a 1900 Barber Quarter.