Re: Yellow 25c certified Sacagawea wash.

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Jan 25, 2002
      Geez, if you charge only $5 per coin, you can
      expect a huge shipment frome me! I've got coins with low
      specific gravities, strange colors, strange forms of
      disintegration or peeling, odd embedded matter, and so on. All
      are begging for clear identification. You could peel
      away a lot of the nonsense surrounding "grease
      strikes" and "improper alloy mix" errors with your little
      machine.<br><br>On the "double foldover edge strike", if it turns
      out to be pre-strike damage associated with an
      off-center strike, then it would worth a lot less than a
      foldover strike. Generally, pre-strike damage goes for
      between $10 and $25, although dramatic examples can bring
      more.<br><br>If there is an edge strike, I wonder how you're
      going to be able to see it? It would be hidden by the
      plastic insert. A big problem with slabs!
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.