Re: Yellow 25c certified Sacagawea wash.

  • Magnus95
    Message 1 of 1195 , Jan 25, 2002
      That's a good point, I could make some extra cash
      doing it on the side after my shift is over. It's
      always good for practice anyways. We have a Bio-Rad 275
      Microscope attached to an FTS175 FTIR. I need to reoutfit
      the spectrometer to read from the microscope for the
      microspectroscopy aspect. It's been collecting dust for a while and
      this would be a good reason to put it back in
      operation. I'll have to get back with you in a while once I
      get some time to work on it and make sure I don't
      screw something else up by working with it. The
      Stingray is a good 100,000 and won't be purchased for a
      while yet, but when the price comes down, I'll get to
      try it out on different samples and I would think
      coins aren't out of the running. I wonder if 5 bucks
      per coin would be reasonable? 100 coins equals a nice
      double denomination for me. :) The only problem is to
      determine the actual composition, it would be a lot more
      difficult. I'd have to do a mass spectrometric analysis
      which is destructive and I have very limited access to
      that equipment. The best I could really offer with the
      microscope is determining if the composition is different
      unless I can find a good metals library somewhere for
      FTIR spectra. At any rate, I need to think about it a
      while and see what I can come up with.
      I'm planning on purchasing it here in a few days if
      it's still available. I need it for my type set and
      like you said, it's rare! I haven't seen another
      offered on e-bay yet. <br><br>The double foldover strike
      is still "in the mail", but I'll scan it when I get
      it for a blown-up image. I'm curious too about
      pre-strike damage. Would that be worth less or more?
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.