Stealth counterbrockage

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
      Unless my eyes betray me, this is a late-stage counterbrockage:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8322370733

      I'm surprised Allan didn't pick it up. The letters of LIBERTY are
      enlarged and running off the edge. It's not a particularly clear or
      noteworthy counterbrockage, but I can't pass one up at a mere $30. The
      letters of LIBERTY appear doubled. Although I suspect that's an
      optical illusion, it'll be worth a closer look. Double
      counterbrockages do occur. All you need is a double brockage as the
      source design.
    • Kevin L. Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        It looks like there's some exposed zinc on the side. Is that
        significant?

        Kevin

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
          Are you referring to a small spot on the right side of the reverse
          rim? That looks like a little bit of damage to a low fin that
          developed at the rim/edge junction as the result of the increased
          effective striking pressure.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin L. Stewart"
          <Grimaldon@y...> wrote:
          > It looks like there's some exposed zinc on the side. Is that
          > significant?
          >
          > Kevin
        • Kevin L. Stewart
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
            Looks to me like it was on obv and rev on the right side.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
              My eyes did betray me after all. There is no counterbrockage here,
              or at least no counterbrockage I can be sure of. The suggestion of a
              nose, forehead, and mouth may be a mere simulacrum. There are no
              recognizable letters of LIBERTY.

              Oh well, it just goes to show how one's imagination can run loose.