Re: ANA Report - San Francisco # 3

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      A few other thoughts, in no particular order:

      * "Lonesome John" Devine showed up Wednesday with
      his wife Peggy - the first ANA John's been to
      in about 20 years.....He had a great time seeing
      some old friends (like Bill Fivaz, Dave Camire, etc)
      and I bought another nice batch of Off-Centers and
      Off-Metals from him - from the 1970's....

      * Syd Kass and I gave our Numismatic Theater talk on
      Saturday morning; about 22-24 people attended; it
      went very very fast - Syd talked for about the first
      20 minutes, and then I talked for the next 20-25 or
      so, and we actually ran overtime with the Question &
      Answer period - folks like Alan Herbert (Numis. News),
      Bill Fivaz, Lee Gong, etc. were there. We didn't get
      to go into too much detail about anyting, because of
      the time, but I did have a few new collectors come
      up to my table downstairs, after the talk, who said
      they found it interesting and informatative.....

      * I autographed copies of the new book on the 1913 Nickel
      that was released at the show - two years ago at the
      Baltimore ANA I was one of the 6 Dealers who authenticated
      the "Missing" 1913 Liberty Nickel at 1:00 in the morning,
      and got to hold ALL of the 5 pieces ! The book looks like
      an interesting history of the coin, the mint at the time,
      and how the missing coin came back to numismatics...I haven't
      read the book yet (it's in my Brinks shipment!), but I hope
      to get to it this weekend.....

      * As usual with ANA's, it was a long week, very tiring, yet
      exhilarating to talk to so many collectors, and see people
      we haven't seen in years, and just be "immersed" in coins!

      * There were very very few errors on the floor, or in any of
      the Pre-Auctions; Heritage had about 10 error coins only;
      I bought the Liberty Nickel on a Cent, the Double Struck
      Texas Quarter (only one known), and another coin or two.

      That's about it for now...I'll try to answer any questions
      you guys might have.........

      Fred

      Fred
    • byersnc
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        Hi Lindy. We found it in one of the safes, it will be scanned and I
        will try to squeeze it in issue 13 of Mint Error News Magazine.

        Mike Byers
        Publisher and Editor
        Mint Error News Magazine
        http://minterrornews.com

      • Rafael Delgado
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
          Very interesting report. Thanks Fred.

          Just would like to add that in Puerto Rico errors are not
          very well known or understood yet. We are expanding our
          collections on very difficult times.
          Rafael

          http://mail.yahoo.com