Re: ANA Report - San Francisco # 2

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Your right, Fred. I bought only a fraction of the expensive mint
      errors that I handle. I will post 2 of them later today.

      The market is very strong for mint errors, customers have long want
      lists, and the few things being offered aren't being given away.

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > That being said, I can say that both the Rare Coin
      > and Error Coin Markets are very strong, with great
      > demand for either "Fresh" material, or eye-catching
      > material (both normal and error).
      >
      > Major complaint from most normal coin dealers was
      > that no new material was around, it was tuff to buy
      > coins, and that anything good could have been sold
      > asap to their clients........
      >
      > Great Coin Market, Scarcity of Material, and Lousy Retail
      >
      > The public just wasn't buying, even the cheaper coins:
      > I had prepared singles, bags, bins, etc. of errors from
      > $10-$40 or so, with very few lookers, or sales.
      >
      > I did sell alot of $100-$3,000 errors, and almost sold
      > my PCGS MS-65 Gem 1922-S Peace Dollar for close to
      > 70K (Ex-Milt Cohen)
      >
      > Purchases were below average (or average for the past
      > year or two!) - just stuff for Ebay or my next price
      > list......the best coin I bought was a GEM RED Full Date
      > 1979-S SBA on a Cent planchet - literally the best one
      > I've ever seen......
      >
      > Other than that - dissapointing that no new error coin
      > hoards or single pieces even surfaced - and I'm sure
      > alot of collectors were a bit dissapointed that they
      > couldn't find any "eye catching" errors on the floor.
      >
      > I think Mike Byers would agree that he bought far less
      > that he would have liked to..........

    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        A few other thoughts, in no particular order:

        * "Lonesome John" Devine showed up Wednesday with
        his wife Peggy - the first ANA John's been to
        in about 20 years.....He had a great time seeing
        some old friends (like Bill Fivaz, Dave Camire, etc)
        and I bought another nice batch of Off-Centers and
        Off-Metals from him - from the 1970's....

        * Syd Kass and I gave our Numismatic Theater talk on
        Saturday morning; about 22-24 people attended; it
        went very very fast - Syd talked for about the first
        20 minutes, and then I talked for the next 20-25 or
        so, and we actually ran overtime with the Question &
        Answer period - folks like Alan Herbert (Numis. News),
        Bill Fivaz, Lee Gong, etc. were there. We didn't get
        to go into too much detail about anyting, because of
        the time, but I did have a few new collectors come
        up to my table downstairs, after the talk, who said
        they found it interesting and informatative.....

        * I autographed copies of the new book on the 1913 Nickel
        that was released at the show - two years ago at the
        Baltimore ANA I was one of the 6 Dealers who authenticated
        the "Missing" 1913 Liberty Nickel at 1:00 in the morning,
        and got to hold ALL of the 5 pieces ! The book looks like
        an interesting history of the coin, the mint at the time,
        and how the missing coin came back to numismatics...I haven't
        read the book yet (it's in my Brinks shipment!), but I hope
        to get to it this weekend.....

        * As usual with ANA's, it was a long week, very tiring, yet
        exhilarating to talk to so many collectors, and see people
        we haven't seen in years, and just be "immersed" in coins!

        * There were very very few errors on the floor, or in any of
        the Pre-Auctions; Heritage had about 10 error coins only;
        I bought the Liberty Nickel on a Cent, the Double Struck
        Texas Quarter (only one known), and another coin or two.

        That's about it for now...I'll try to answer any questions
        you guys might have.........

        Fred

        Fred
      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hi Lindy. We found it in one of the safes, it will be scanned and I
          will try to squeeze it in issue 13 of Mint Error News Magazine.

          Mike Byers
          Publisher and Editor
          Mint Error News Magazine
          http://minterrornews.com

        • Rafael Delgado
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
            Very interesting report. Thanks Fred.

            Just would like to add that in Puerto Rico errors are not
            very well known or understood yet. We are expanding our
            collections on very difficult times.
            Rafael

            http://mail.yahoo.com