Re: ANA Report - Comin' Up

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Thanks, Fred.  No rush.

      In a message dated 8/2/05 9:34:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Mike, I'll be happy to give a full report on the
      week in San Fran - but I have a dentist appointment
      here in my building at 8:00 am - so I'm a bit rushed
      for time right now.

      Give me an hour or two, and I'll be happy to tell
      you what I saw, sold, bought, participated in, etc.

      Fred

    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        As usual, a long long week.

        PNG Day was Tuesday, and was a surprising good day for
        selling errors - usually collectors and dealers are there
        for "normal" coins, but I sold a good amount of errors
        that particular day....and bought almost nothing.

        ANA officially started Wednesday, and that was probably
        the best day of the show - as you might have heard from
        others, overall this SF ANA was one of the worst retail
        ANA's ever - for a variety of given reasons: (take your pick)

        * San Fran. just isn't a good coin town anymore - despite
        being in the general Silicon Valley area

        * Because of the change of venue from San Jose to SF, the
        show was on at least two different floors - ANA Registration
        was on the second floor, along with the U.S. Mint Exhibit
        (more on that - just incredible!), the other World Mints,
        the Exhibit area, and the ANA area, along with all of the
        meeting rooms and Auction Viewing and Auction Room.

        * The very large ANA "Entrance Archway Banner", which is
        usually just in front of the Bourse room, was instead
        just in front of the escalator going up to the 2nd floor.
        As far as I (and others) know, there was nothing said to
        people who went up there to Regisister, or as they went
        thru the Mint Booths, Exhibits, ANA Headquarters table,
        and then left that area, that there was a coin show
        downstairs! There was nothing at the top of the escalator,
        no sign at the bottom of the escalator, nor anything in
        the entry area, or in front of the Bourse Area Entrance
        that there was a coin show inside!

        * I talked to numerous dealers and others who talked to the
        public after they came downstairs, and were waundering
        in the lobby - that they had no idea there was a coin
        show literally a few feet away from them.......

        * Finally, I believe, on Saturday afternoon, and Sunday,
        there were PA announcements to the effect of "Please
        don't forget to go down and visit the coin show". A
        little too little, and a little too late.......

        More in my next post.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Sorry to hear the show was poorly organized and something of a bust.
          I guess I didn't miss much by not going. I am planning on coming to
          the next two, though.

          I hope that at least your reminiscence on the early days of the error
          hobby was well-attended.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > As usual, a long long week.
          >
          > PNG Day was Tuesday, and was a surprising good day for
          > selling errors - usually collectors and dealers are there
          > for "normal" coins, but I sold a good amount of errors
          > that particular day....and bought almost nothing.
          >
          > ANA officially started Wednesday, and that was probably
          > the best day of the show - as you might have heard from
          > others, overall this SF ANA was one of the worst retail
          > ANA's ever - for a variety of given reasons: (take your pick)
          >
          > * San Fran. just isn't a good coin town anymore - despite
          > being in the general Silicon Valley area
          >
          > * Because of the change of venue from San Jose to SF, the
          > show was on at least two different floors - ANA Registration
          > was on the second floor, along with the U.S. Mint Exhibit
          > (more on that - just incredible!), the other World Mints,
          > the Exhibit area, and the ANA area, along with all of the
          > meeting rooms and Auction Viewing and Auction Room.
          >
          > * The very large ANA "Entrance Archway Banner", which is
          > usually just in front of the Bourse room, was instead
          > just in front of the escalator going up to the 2nd floor.
          > As far as I (and others) know, there was nothing said to
          > people who went up there to Regisister, or as they went
          > thru the Mint Booths, Exhibits, ANA Headquarters table,
          > and then left that area, that there was a coin show
          > downstairs! There was nothing at the top of the escalator,
          > no sign at the bottom of the escalator, nor anything in
          > the entry area, or in front of the Bourse Area Entrance
          > that there was a coin show inside!
          >
          > * I talked to numerous dealers and others who talked to the
          > public after they came downstairs, and were waundering
          > in the lobby - that they had no idea there was a coin
          > show literally a few feet away from them.......
          >
          > * Finally, I believe, on Saturday afternoon, and Sunday,
          > there were PA announcements to the effect of "Please
          > don't forget to go down and visit the coin show". A
          > little too little, and a little too late.......
          >
          > More in my next post.
        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            That being said, I can say that both the Rare Coin
            and Error Coin Markets are very strong, with great
            demand for either "Fresh" material, or eye-catching
            material (both normal and error).

            Major complaint from most normal coin dealers was
            that no new material was around, it was tuff to buy
            coins, and that anything good could have been sold
            asap to their clients........

            Great Coin Market, Scarcity of Material, and Lousy Retail

            The public just wasn't buying, even the cheaper coins:
            I had prepared singles, bags, bins, etc. of errors from
            $10-$40 or so, with very few lookers, or sales.

            I did sell alot of $100-$3,000 errors, and almost sold
            my PCGS MS-65 Gem 1922-S Peace Dollar for close to
            70K (Ex-Milt Cohen)

            Purchases were below average (or average for the past
            year or two!) - just stuff for Ebay or my next price
            list......the best coin I bought was a GEM RED Full Date
            1979-S SBA on a Cent planchet - literally the best one
            I've ever seen......

            Other than that - dissapointing that no new error coin
            hoards or single pieces even surfaced - and I'm sure
            alot of collectors were a bit dissapointed that they
            couldn't find any "eye catching" errors on the floor.

            I think Mike Byers would agree that he bought far less
            that he would have liked to..........

          • byersnc
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Your right, Fred. I bought only a fraction of the expensive mint
              errors that I handle. I will post 2 of them later today.

              The market is very strong for mint errors, customers have long want
              lists, and the few things being offered aren't being given away.

              Mike Byers
              http://mikebyers.com

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > That being said, I can say that both the Rare Coin
              > and Error Coin Markets are very strong, with great
              > demand for either "Fresh" material, or eye-catching
              > material (both normal and error).
              >
              > Major complaint from most normal coin dealers was
              > that no new material was around, it was tuff to buy
              > coins, and that anything good could have been sold
              > asap to their clients........
              >
              > Great Coin Market, Scarcity of Material, and Lousy Retail
              >
              > The public just wasn't buying, even the cheaper coins:
              > I had prepared singles, bags, bins, etc. of errors from
              > $10-$40 or so, with very few lookers, or sales.
              >
              > I did sell alot of $100-$3,000 errors, and almost sold
              > my PCGS MS-65 Gem 1922-S Peace Dollar for close to
              > 70K (Ex-Milt Cohen)
              >
              > Purchases were below average (or average for the past
              > year or two!) - just stuff for Ebay or my next price
              > list......the best coin I bought was a GEM RED Full Date
              > 1979-S SBA on a Cent planchet - literally the best one
              > I've ever seen......
              >
              > Other than that - dissapointing that no new error coin
              > hoards or single pieces even surfaced - and I'm sure
              > alot of collectors were a bit dissapointed that they
              > couldn't find any "eye catching" errors on the floor.
              >
              > I think Mike Byers would agree that he bought far less
              > that he would have liked to..........

            • fred_weinberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                A few other thoughts, in no particular order:

                * "Lonesome John" Devine showed up Wednesday with
                his wife Peggy - the first ANA John's been to
                in about 20 years.....He had a great time seeing
                some old friends (like Bill Fivaz, Dave Camire, etc)
                and I bought another nice batch of Off-Centers and
                Off-Metals from him - from the 1970's....

                * Syd Kass and I gave our Numismatic Theater talk on
                Saturday morning; about 22-24 people attended; it
                went very very fast - Syd talked for about the first
                20 minutes, and then I talked for the next 20-25 or
                so, and we actually ran overtime with the Question &
                Answer period - folks like Alan Herbert (Numis. News),
                Bill Fivaz, Lee Gong, etc. were there. We didn't get
                to go into too much detail about anyting, because of
                the time, but I did have a few new collectors come
                up to my table downstairs, after the talk, who said
                they found it interesting and informatative.....

                * I autographed copies of the new book on the 1913 Nickel
                that was released at the show - two years ago at the
                Baltimore ANA I was one of the 6 Dealers who authenticated
                the "Missing" 1913 Liberty Nickel at 1:00 in the morning,
                and got to hold ALL of the 5 pieces ! The book looks like
                an interesting history of the coin, the mint at the time,
                and how the missing coin came back to numismatics...I haven't
                read the book yet (it's in my Brinks shipment!), but I hope
                to get to it this weekend.....

                * As usual with ANA's, it was a long week, very tiring, yet
                exhilarating to talk to so many collectors, and see people
                we haven't seen in years, and just be "immersed" in coins!

                * There were very very few errors on the floor, or in any of
                the Pre-Auctions; Heritage had about 10 error coins only;
                I bought the Liberty Nickel on a Cent, the Double Struck
                Texas Quarter (only one known), and another coin or two.

                That's about it for now...I'll try to answer any questions
                you guys might have.........

                Fred

                Fred
              • byersnc
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Hi Lindy. We found it in one of the safes, it will be scanned and I
                  will try to squeeze it in issue 13 of Mint Error News Magazine.

                  Mike Byers
                  Publisher and Editor
                  Mint Error News Magazine
                  http://minterrornews.com

                • Rafael Delgado
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Very interesting report. Thanks Fred.

                    Just would like to add that in Puerto Rico errors are not
                    very well known or understood yet. We are expanding our
                    collections on very difficult times.
                    Rafael

                    http://mail.yahoo.com