ANA Report - Comin' Up

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Mike, I'll be happy to give a full report on the
      week in San Fran - but I have a dentist appointment
      here in my building at 8:00 am - so I'm a bit rushed
      for time right now.

      Give me an hour or two, and I'll be happy to tell
      you what I saw, sold, bought, participated in, etc.

      Fred

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > If anyone here attended the ANA show (and I know Fred did), please
      give
      > us a short report on the errors that you saw. Pick up anything
      unusual?
    • mdia1@aol.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          As usual, a long long week.

          PNG Day was Tuesday, and was a surprising good day for
          selling errors - usually collectors and dealers are there
          for "normal" coins, but I sold a good amount of errors
          that particular day....and bought almost nothing.

          ANA officially started Wednesday, and that was probably
          the best day of the show - as you might have heard from
          others, overall this SF ANA was one of the worst retail
          ANA's ever - for a variety of given reasons: (take your pick)

          * San Fran. just isn't a good coin town anymore - despite
          being in the general Silicon Valley area

          * Because of the change of venue from San Jose to SF, the
          show was on at least two different floors - ANA Registration
          was on the second floor, along with the U.S. Mint Exhibit
          (more on that - just incredible!), the other World Mints,
          the Exhibit area, and the ANA area, along with all of the
          meeting rooms and Auction Viewing and Auction Room.

          * The very large ANA "Entrance Archway Banner", which is
          usually just in front of the Bourse room, was instead
          just in front of the escalator going up to the 2nd floor.
          As far as I (and others) know, there was nothing said to
          people who went up there to Regisister, or as they went
          thru the Mint Booths, Exhibits, ANA Headquarters table,
          and then left that area, that there was a coin show
          downstairs! There was nothing at the top of the escalator,
          no sign at the bottom of the escalator, nor anything in
          the entry area, or in front of the Bourse Area Entrance
          that there was a coin show inside!

          * I talked to numerous dealers and others who talked to the
          public after they came downstairs, and were waundering
          in the lobby - that they had no idea there was a coin
          show literally a few feet away from them.......

          * Finally, I believe, on Saturday afternoon, and Sunday,
          there were PA announcements to the effect of "Please
          don't forget to go down and visit the coin show". A
          little too little, and a little too late.......

          More in my next post.
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Sorry to hear the show was poorly organized and something of a bust.
            I guess I didn't miss much by not going. I am planning on coming to
            the next two, though.

            I hope that at least your reminiscence on the early days of the error
            hobby was well-attended.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > As usual, a long long week.
            >
            > PNG Day was Tuesday, and was a surprising good day for
            > selling errors - usually collectors and dealers are there
            > for "normal" coins, but I sold a good amount of errors
            > that particular day....and bought almost nothing.
            >
            > ANA officially started Wednesday, and that was probably
            > the best day of the show - as you might have heard from
            > others, overall this SF ANA was one of the worst retail
            > ANA's ever - for a variety of given reasons: (take your pick)
            >
            > * San Fran. just isn't a good coin town anymore - despite
            > being in the general Silicon Valley area
            >
            > * Because of the change of venue from San Jose to SF, the
            > show was on at least two different floors - ANA Registration
            > was on the second floor, along with the U.S. Mint Exhibit
            > (more on that - just incredible!), the other World Mints,
            > the Exhibit area, and the ANA area, along with all of the
            > meeting rooms and Auction Viewing and Auction Room.
            >
            > * The very large ANA "Entrance Archway Banner", which is
            > usually just in front of the Bourse room, was instead
            > just in front of the escalator going up to the 2nd floor.
            > As far as I (and others) know, there was nothing said to
            > people who went up there to Regisister, or as they went
            > thru the Mint Booths, Exhibits, ANA Headquarters table,
            > and then left that area, that there was a coin show
            > downstairs! There was nothing at the top of the escalator,
            > no sign at the bottom of the escalator, nor anything in
            > the entry area, or in front of the Bourse Area Entrance
            > that there was a coin show inside!
            >
            > * I talked to numerous dealers and others who talked to the
            > public after they came downstairs, and were waundering
            > in the lobby - that they had no idea there was a coin
            > show literally a few feet away from them.......
            >
            > * Finally, I believe, on Saturday afternoon, and Sunday,
            > there were PA announcements to the effect of "Please
            > don't forget to go down and visit the coin show". A
            > little too little, and a little too late.......
            >
            > More in my next post.
          • fred_weinberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              That being said, I can say that both the Rare Coin
              and Error Coin Markets are very strong, with great
              demand for either "Fresh" material, or eye-catching
              material (both normal and error).

              Major complaint from most normal coin dealers was
              that no new material was around, it was tuff to buy
              coins, and that anything good could have been sold
              asap to their clients........

              Great Coin Market, Scarcity of Material, and Lousy Retail

              The public just wasn't buying, even the cheaper coins:
              I had prepared singles, bags, bins, etc. of errors from
              $10-$40 or so, with very few lookers, or sales.

              I did sell alot of $100-$3,000 errors, and almost sold
              my PCGS MS-65 Gem 1922-S Peace Dollar for close to
              70K (Ex-Milt Cohen)

              Purchases were below average (or average for the past
              year or two!) - just stuff for Ebay or my next price
              list......the best coin I bought was a GEM RED Full Date
              1979-S SBA on a Cent planchet - literally the best one
              I've ever seen......

              Other than that - dissapointing that no new error coin
              hoards or single pieces even surfaced - and I'm sure
              alot of collectors were a bit dissapointed that they
              couldn't find any "eye catching" errors on the floor.

              I think Mike Byers would agree that he bought far less
              that he would have liked to..........

            • byersnc
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                Your right, Fred. I bought only a fraction of the expensive mint
                errors that I handle. I will post 2 of them later today.

                The market is very strong for mint errors, customers have long want
                lists, and the few things being offered aren't being given away.

                Mike Byers
                http://mikebyers.com

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > That being said, I can say that both the Rare Coin
                > and Error Coin Markets are very strong, with great
                > demand for either "Fresh" material, or eye-catching
                > material (both normal and error).
                >
                > Major complaint from most normal coin dealers was
                > that no new material was around, it was tuff to buy
                > coins, and that anything good could have been sold
                > asap to their clients........
                >
                > Great Coin Market, Scarcity of Material, and Lousy Retail
                >
                > The public just wasn't buying, even the cheaper coins:
                > I had prepared singles, bags, bins, etc. of errors from
                > $10-$40 or so, with very few lookers, or sales.
                >
                > I did sell alot of $100-$3,000 errors, and almost sold
                > my PCGS MS-65 Gem 1922-S Peace Dollar for close to
                > 70K (Ex-Milt Cohen)
                >
                > Purchases were below average (or average for the past
                > year or two!) - just stuff for Ebay or my next price
                > list......the best coin I bought was a GEM RED Full Date
                > 1979-S SBA on a Cent planchet - literally the best one
                > I've ever seen......
                >
                > Other than that - dissapointing that no new error coin
                > hoards or single pieces even surfaced - and I'm sure
                > alot of collectors were a bit dissapointed that they
                > couldn't find any "eye catching" errors on the floor.
                >
                > I think Mike Byers would agree that he bought far less
                > that he would have liked to..........

              • fred_weinberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  A few other thoughts, in no particular order:

                  * "Lonesome John" Devine showed up Wednesday with
                  his wife Peggy - the first ANA John's been to
                  in about 20 years.....He had a great time seeing
                  some old friends (like Bill Fivaz, Dave Camire, etc)
                  and I bought another nice batch of Off-Centers and
                  Off-Metals from him - from the 1970's....

                  * Syd Kass and I gave our Numismatic Theater talk on
                  Saturday morning; about 22-24 people attended; it
                  went very very fast - Syd talked for about the first
                  20 minutes, and then I talked for the next 20-25 or
                  so, and we actually ran overtime with the Question &
                  Answer period - folks like Alan Herbert (Numis. News),
                  Bill Fivaz, Lee Gong, etc. were there. We didn't get
                  to go into too much detail about anyting, because of
                  the time, but I did have a few new collectors come
                  up to my table downstairs, after the talk, who said
                  they found it interesting and informatative.....

                  * I autographed copies of the new book on the 1913 Nickel
                  that was released at the show - two years ago at the
                  Baltimore ANA I was one of the 6 Dealers who authenticated
                  the "Missing" 1913 Liberty Nickel at 1:00 in the morning,
                  and got to hold ALL of the 5 pieces ! The book looks like
                  an interesting history of the coin, the mint at the time,
                  and how the missing coin came back to numismatics...I haven't
                  read the book yet (it's in my Brinks shipment!), but I hope
                  to get to it this weekend.....

                  * As usual with ANA's, it was a long week, very tiring, yet
                  exhilarating to talk to so many collectors, and see people
                  we haven't seen in years, and just be "immersed" in coins!

                  * There were very very few errors on the floor, or in any of
                  the Pre-Auctions; Heritage had about 10 error coins only;
                  I bought the Liberty Nickel on a Cent, the Double Struck
                  Texas Quarter (only one known), and another coin or two.

                  That's about it for now...I'll try to answer any questions
                  you guys might have.........

                  Fred

                  Fred
                • byersnc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Hi Lindy. We found it in one of the safes, it will be scanned and I
                    will try to squeeze it in issue 13 of Mint Error News Magazine.

                    Mike Byers
                    Publisher and Editor
                    Mint Error News Magazine
                    http://minterrornews.com

                  • Rafael Delgado
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Very interesting report. Thanks Fred.

                      Just would like to add that in Puerto Rico errors are not
                      very well known or understood yet. We are expanding our
                      collections on very difficult times.
                      Rafael

                      http://mail.yahoo.com