Fascinating example of die failure

    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 24, 2005
      This coin seemed to have slipped beneath the radar (lucky for me):

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8319835943

      The reverse die involved in the larger off-center strike was a
      shattered die. The obverse die involved in the smaller off-center
      strike was a badly broken die. Only a small stump of the die face
      remained.

      It's impossible to say if the same die pair was involved in both
      strikes, as there is no part of the design that overlaps. I suspect
      that two different die pairs were involved, as there seems to be too
      much of the obverse design present on the larger strike. It's
      possible, however, that much of the obverse die broke off between the
      larger and smaller strikes (assuming that is the proper sequence).

      In either case, it's a massive case of die failure and a massively cool
      error, if you're into that sort of thing.
    • byersnc
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 23, 2005
        Your right, Mike D. It's triple struck!

        Mike Byers