Partial die cap

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 8, 2005
      There's a partial die cap on the upper right:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8315254439

      It would have left an aligned brockage on the planchet it was struck
      into. There's no cupping on this 2-strike off-center die cap.

      The winning bidder got a pretty good deal on this lot.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2006
        Here's a partial die cap that I snapped up for $11 with a Buy It Now
        purchase:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160026180355

        The first strike was an ordinary off-center strike (die struck on both
        faces). The coin adhered to the obverse die and was struck into the
        next planchet. This smeared the design on the reverse face. It also
        left an "aligned brockage" on the obverse face of the underlying coin.
        In other words, the brockage would have been aligned with the die
        struck design on the reverse face of the bottom coin.

        I've got a few such errors already in my collection already, but I
        can't resist a bargain.
      • Travis Bolton
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
          wow that's a really a neat one Mike. It's cool that the obverse shows
          no signs of a double strike at all, that I noticed anyway.

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > Here's a partial die cap that I snapped up for $11 with a Buy It
          Now
          > purchase:
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160026180355
          >
          > The first strike was an ordinary off-center strike (die struck on
          both
          > faces). The coin adhered to the obverse die and was struck into
          the
          > next planchet. This smeared the design on the reverse face. It
          also
          > left an "aligned brockage" on the obverse face of the underlying
          coin.
          > In other words, the brockage would have been aligned with the die
          > struck design on the reverse face of the bottom coin.
          >
          > I've got a few such errors already in my collection already, but I
          > can't resist a bargain.

        • Rich Schemmer
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
            I see NO evidence this coin adhered-to the Obverse die? Looks like
            a dble struck off center, where this coin rested on top on a newly
            fed in blank planchet. I see no where near enough cupping that would
            have caused some type of suction to adhere this coin to the Obverse
            die.. No cupping of the coin either?? I await to hear your thoughts
            Mike..

            Thanx
            Rich Schemmer
            Rich Schemmer Error Coins
            http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php-- In
            errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Bolton"

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
              Since there is absolutely no sign of movement between strikes on the
              obverse face, it stands to reason that the off-center coin clung to
              the die face between strikes. Since the obverse design is in its
              correct orientation relative to the reverse design, this would also
              support the partial die cap scenario.

              As I've always stated, cupping is a very unreliable diagnostic for
              identifying die caps. Some die caps (like many reverse die caps)
              show no cupping, while some coins that are not die caps show deep
              cupping. The latter would include uniface broadstrikes and
              broadstrikes with a first-strike brockage on the reverse face. In
              most cases, cupping doesn't appear necessary for adhesion. It's
              simply the way that coin metal curls or bends in response to the
              stresses of the strike. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism by
              which a newly struck coin adheres to the die face. I don't know if
              it's suction, a weak atomic bond (Van der Waal's force), or a sticky
              film on the die face or planchet.

              I've seen a number of partial die caps, and cupping was weak to
              absent on all of them. Which isn't to say that all such coins will
              be weakly cupped.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Schemmer"
              <RichErrors@...> wrote:

              > I see NO evidence this coin adhered-to the Obverse die? Looks
              like
              > a dble struck off center, where this coin rested on top on a newly
              > fed in blank planchet. I see no where near enough cupping that
              would
              > have caused some type of suction to adhere this coin to the Obverse
              > die.. No cupping of the coin either?? I await to hear your
              thoughts
              > Mike..
              >
              > Thanx
              > Rich Schemmer
              > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
              > http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php-- In
              > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Bolton"
              > <travisbolton543@> wrote:
              > >
              > > wow that's a really a neat one Mike. It's cool that the obverse
              > shows
              > > no signs of a double strike at all, that I noticed anyway.
              > >

              > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
              Diamond"

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                It's a slightly cupped, uncentered broadstrike with split-line
                doubling. The copper plating has split in parallel with Lincoln's
                profile.

                So the seller's description was basically correct.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, whitetumbleweed
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I bought this a month ago from the same seller.
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160017539251
                > It is cupped.
                > I hope he didn't catch all the errors on this one also. Did he?
              • ibcooleyes
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Rookie question: On these and all other such errors are they always
                  found in mint bags, rolls or do you have to know someone at one of
                  the large coin rolling companies that have first dibs at finding such
                  coins ?? I know this coin wouldn't fit in a roll.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                    In days past, familiar sources included mint-sewn bags, counting houses
                    (incl. armored car services), and Federal Reserve banks. Mint-sewn
                    bags are out these days since they switched to huge "ballistic bags".

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, ibcooleyes
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Rookie question: On these and all other such errors are they always
                    > found in mint bags, rolls or do you have to know someone at one of
                    > the large coin rolling companies that have first dibs at finding such
                    > coins ?? I know this coin wouldn't fit in a roll.
                  • Error Coins
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                      This auction:

                      http://tinyurl.com/m42t2

                      APPEARS to be 2 reverse dies. I've owned the one with the Indian head on one
                      side and one of these reverses shows the aftermath of a crash with this
                      obverse.

                      Assuming these pictures are correct - is this a known CWT?

                      Later.....
                      Steve
                    • ibcooleyes
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                        So what you are saying these type errors are found in these
                        hug "ballistic bags". and no where else ? And these huge "ballistic
                        bags" are where ?

                        How may people that are associated with this forum are involved with
                        the u s mint ?.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
                          You would have a better chance getting the Stealth secrets from the
                          US Gov't, than to expect an error dealer to give up his error
                          sources ... LOL

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
                            As best as I can recall, the ballistic bags are shipped directly to
                            armored car services and possibly Federal Reserve Banks. Unless you
                            have contacts in either place, you're pretty much out of luck, at
                            least when it comes to grossly deformed coins. The government has
                            clamped down on the release of defective coins in the rare event that
                            some actually get past increasingly stringent quality control
                            technology.

                            Error coins that have a normal or near-normal diameter can still be
                            found in rolls.

                            There are no mint employees among our membership, to my knowledge.

                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > So what you are saying these type errors are found in these
                            > hug "ballistic bags". and no where else ? And these huge "ballistic
                            > bags" are where ?
                            >
                            > How may people that are associated with this forum are involved
                            with
                            > the u s mint ?.
                          • Michael
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                              One of these shows up every once in awhile on eBay. It's a partial (i.e. off-center) obverse die cap:

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230384944656

                              Notice how the reverse design is expanded and distorted. The first strike was an ordinary off-center strike (die-struck on both faces). The coin clung to the obverse (hammer) die and was struck into the next planchet fed in beneath it. After that it fell off.

                              I suspect this specimen escaped the notice of most bidders (they often do) as it didn't cost me much.
                            • Jon Sullivan