Does this look like a damaged before strike planchet?

  • bull102797
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Does this look like a damaged before strike planchet?

      There is a picture of a 1966 nickel in the Default Album.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Yes. The irregular areas on the reverse are too deep and too localized
        to be a split-before-strike planchet. I vote for pre-strike damage.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bull102797"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          What might have cause this? The rest of the coin is relatively in good
          shape.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
            I don't know. I don't believe anybody has a clue. Pre-strike damage
            is incredibly diverse, so I would think a diversity of mishaps is
            behind it. Planchets end up being gouged, torn, crumpled, crushed,
            scraped, etc. I may write an article on pre-strike damage over the
            summerl; it's one of the topics I've had in the back of my mind for a
            while.