Re: Strange Canada 10c with Flange

  • benderbott
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
      > "filled collar" or "obstructed collar" error > Thanks for your
      feedback Mike Diamond. That also explains why there is no reeding in
      the area where the flange is - I was wondering about that.

      PS Canadian's do not have quarters nor dismes though the slang terms
      are sometimes used, so I know what you mean. :) -- JFK

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > I have two Candian coins like this, a quarter and a dime. It can
      be
      > called a "filled collar" or "obstructed collar" error. A plug of
      > hardened crud or a piece of debris filled the ridges of the collar
      > and extended inward past the tips of the ridges.
      >
      > When the planchet was forced down by the impact of the hammer
      > (reverse) die, the plug of material was in the way. It
      repositioned
      > some of the metal so as to produce a flange on the face struck by
      the
      > hammer die and a weak and rounded rim on the face struck by the
      anvil
      > die.
      >
      > I've not found any similar errors on U.S. coins.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "benderbott"
      > <josephkennedy@s...> wrote:
      > > Hello. I recently acquired a strange Canada 10c error coin. It
      has
      > > perpendicular flange @ 12:00.
      > >
      > > At first glance I thought maybe it was damaged by a coin-counter,
      > but
      > > there appears to be Blakesley Effect in the weakness of the rim on
      > > the obverse side. Also, there are odd "beads" that have been
      pushed
      > > up from between the reeding.
      > >
      > > The weight is 2.09g (~normal). The coin was struck in "medal"
      > > alignment & the Reverse = hammer die.
      > >
      > > The reeding @ 6:00 is weak (not pictured).
      > >
      > > Is this coin just a type of offcenter?
      > >
      > > http://members.shaw.ca/josephkennedy/Images/10e30.jpg
      > > http://members.shaw.ca/josephkennedy/Images/10e30detail.jpg
      > > http://members.shaw.ca/josephkennedy/Images/10e30-QX3-1.jpg
      > > http://members.shaw.ca/josephkennedy/Images/10e30-QX3-2.jpg
      > > http://members.shaw.ca/josephkennedy/Images/10e30-QX3-3.jpg
    • Rafael Delgado
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
        Here's an example of a ram strike. I think!

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8315376886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

        Rafael

        --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

        > You're probably thinking of a "ram strike". That's an
        > off-center
        > planchet that is forced all the way into a collar that is
        > frozen in
        > the "up" position. The result is a vertical flange on
        > the face struck
        > by the hammer die and a rounded shoulder on the face
        > struck by the
        > anvil die. There are numerous other diagnostics.
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
        > "Kevin L. Stewart"
        > <Grimaldon@y...> wrote:
        > > I have a little bit of a hard time understanding the
        > term "in collar
        > > broadstrike" but the experts here say it's real. Maybe
        > that's what
        > you
        > > have.
        > >
        > > Kevin

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
          No it's not. It was struck out-of-collar. This is a cupped off-center
          strike with a rather prominent collar scar. The stiff collar may have
          had a role in the cupping, but cupping can occur without a collar scar.

          A ram strike must be struck completely within the collar. It is part
          of a continuum of "stiff collar" errors. The most extreme expression
          of a stiff collar error is an elliptical strike clip, where the coin is
          sheared in two between hammer die and collar.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
          <my_errors@y...> wrote:
          > Here's an example of a ram strike. I think!
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
          ViewItem&rd=1&item=8315376886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

          > Rafael
        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
            I'd like to invite all Error Collectors to attend a
            special ANA Numismatic Theater talk on Saturday,
            July 30th, at 11:00 a.m. at the Convention Center.

            Syd Kass, one of the pioneers of the error hobby,
            and myself will be presenting an hour-long presentation
            titled "The Early Days of the Error Hobby - A Reminiscence".

            Although most of you probably don't know the name
            Syd Kass, he is from Stockton, Calif., and a major
            supporter of the famous Delta Coin Club of Calif.
            Syd also has been collecting and promoting error coins
            since the 1950's - and he is one of the three people
            I have always credited with motivating me to not only
            become more involved with errors when I was a teenager,
            but to become a full-time dealer almost 35 years ago.

            We will be talking about CONE, NECA, what the error
            hobby was like in the 1960's and 1970's, from both
            our collector views, and then my observations from
            a dealers perspective. We will have a few photos/
            magazines from that period for "show and tell".

            This will be more of a "stream of conscientiousness" and
            "off the cuff" presentation, with expected give-and-take
            from the audience. We will be encouraging questions on
            any error subject, and feel it will be a most entertaining,
            enlightning, and educational presentation.

            Although I'm known for my long-winded conversations at
            my table at Coin Shows, this will be my first time in a
            more formal, yet informal, type of setting like this.

            Please mark the day/time - the room will be announced later,
            and that info will be available at my ANA Table # 424.

            Fred Weinberg
            Syd Kass
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
              Sounds like it will be a blast. Wish I could attend.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > I'd like to invite all Error Collectors to attend a
              > special ANA Numismatic Theater talk on Saturday,
              > July 30th, at 11:00 a.m. at the Convention Center.
              >
              > Syd Kass, one of the pioneers of the error hobby,
              > and myself will be presenting an hour-long presentation
              > titled "The Early Days of the Error Hobby - A Reminiscence".
              >
              > Although most of you probably don't know the name
              > Syd Kass, he is from Stockton, Calif., and a major
              > supporter of the famous Delta Coin Club of Calif.
              > Syd also has been collecting and promoting error coins
              > since the 1950's - and he is one of the three people
              > I have always credited with motivating me to not only
              > become more involved with errors when I was a teenager,
              > but to become a full-time dealer almost 35 years ago.
              >
              > We will be talking about CONE, NECA, what the error
              > hobby was like in the 1960's and 1970's, from both
              > our collector views, and then my observations from
              > a dealers perspective. We will have a few photos/
              > magazines from that period for "show and tell".
              >
              > This will be more of a "stream of conscientiousness" and
              > "off the cuff" presentation, with expected give-and-take
              > from the audience. We will be encouraging questions on
              > any error subject, and feel it will be a most entertaining,
              > enlightning, and educational presentation.
              >
              > Although I'm known for my long-winded conversations at
              > my table at Coin Shows, this will be my first time in a
              > more formal, yet informal, type of setting like this.
              >
              > Please mark the day/time - the room will be announced later,
              > and that info will be available at my ANA Table # 424.
              >
              > Fred Weinberg
              > Syd Kass
            • Rafael Delgado
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005