'PRIVATE' RAISES THE RED FLAGS

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2005
      A new seller that had entered the eBay forum some months back has now
      gone 'private' with his buyer's ID. This bothers me.
      As a rule, any seller that uses eBay's rediculous code of anonimity
      either by hiding his feedback or his buyer's ID under the guise
      of 'private' brings up red flags and sounds all the bells and
      whistles. This seller has brought some beautiful and fresh material
      to the table, and I enjoy buying from him. When I do, I buy the coin
      and not the holder (or the seller, as it may be). But I am troubled
      by this most recent change in the seller's policy. What has he got to
      hide? And, why is he hiding it?
      Hidden feedback protects the seller from showing any bad transactions
      that he has had, and prevents me from examining his track record. In
      this case, he has 100% feedback in over 850 transactions since Jan.
      31. WOW! Nothing to hide here!
      But now I cannot see his buyer, whom I might want to contact (I will
      do that from time to time with anybody that I feel is getting a bad
      deal, as an FYI to the prospective buyer and with 'IN MY OPINION
      ONLY' as an opener.
      But not having access to the buyer protects only the seller.
      Point in case. I believe that the seller, who had previously made a
      mistake attributing an error to a coin I recently mentioned in this
      forum, has made another error. He describes, inaccurately IN MY
      OPINION ONLY another capped die error as follows;

      1944 MULTISTRUCK/CAPPD COUNTERBROACKGE WHEAT ERROR CENT

      The coin is not multistruck, nor is it a counterbrockage, nor is it a
      capped die strike. In fact, it looks like another vise or squeeze job:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3978839748

      I saw one bidder go for $25 and the next day it was bought for $250
      with a buy-it-now. I don't believe that the seller is deliberately
      selling an altered coin...I really feel that he doesn't know that it
      is altered. I would have emailed the buyer, but eBay has once again
      protected the seller instead of the buyer. The seller had nothing to
      lose. The buyer has everything to lose.
      I also got a long email (as many of you did) from this seller
      himself, explaining that there had been no double bidding by a
      supposed shill (relative), and his own reasons for selling away his
      collection. Apparently he was accused of bid-rigging by a third party
      and was trying to clear things up. I have this email saved in my file
      cabinet and I'll forward it to anyone who wants to see it (email me
      at numismistake@...).
      It all seemed so nice in February, but it has begun to look more
      fishy. And with 100% feedback! So just what is going on here?...Marc
    • robert risi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
        YES I DON'T KNOW WHY HE HAD HIS FEEDBACK PRIVATE FOR THAT ONE AUCTION?
        THAT SOUNDS VERY FISHY???  HIS OTHER FEEDBACKS ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC....HE SELLS GOOD ERRRORS....I DON'T THINK HE SELLS FAKES ON PURPOSE?  BUT THEN AGAIN, WHO KNOWS...HE JUST LISTED SOME ERRORS WITH STUPIDLY HIGH BUY IT NOW PRICES.......
        ROB

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
          He's only hiding the bidders' identity. Some sellers do this as a
          courtesy to maintain confidentiality. I don't like it particularly,
          but it's not as suspicious as a seller hiding his own feedback.

          The coin you linked to is definitely a fake. A very
          obvious "sandwich job". Three coins were stacked on top of each
          other and then squeezed or hammered together.

          The seller does come up with some nice errors, but a high percentage
          of his diagnoses are partly or completely wrong. I've been pleased
          with what I've purchased from him, but that's because I know what I'm
          doing.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
            As was earlier mentioned, contacting a buyer constitutes "auction
            interference" under eBay's policy. It doesn't matter if you're right.
            You could be NARU'D if anybody you contact decides to inform eBay of
            that fact.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
              I do have an option when I contact a buyer to hide my email address
              for privacy purposes. I am not a busy-body, but I can't stand and
              watch from the beach as someone is drowning in the surf without trying
              to save them. Perhaps that does make me a busy-body, I don't know.
              But, I have been thanked over and over again in the past for
              my 'auction interference'. I always tell the buyer to buy the book
              (plaid book). I'll watch my P's and Q's from here on in.

              Getting back to eBay protecting the seller and not the buyer, I'm sure
              we have all been part of a bad deal at one time or another. Safe
              Harbor and Dispute Resolution have no teeth; that is, they merely
              allow communication (like he said, she said) without taking any direct
              action on the auction. Sure, they can suspend a seller for repeated
              bad business practices, and eventually expell him. But, as the ripped
              off buyer, I cannot get my money back. If you pay by paypal or credit
              card, there may be some recourse, but not if you pay by money order or
              check. The ANA contact and its intervention in eBay, as mentioned here
              months ago, has not been as effective as we would like. I've still
              been ripped off on the trade. Been there..done that...
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
                We all admire your selfless dedication to clueless newbies. I just
                don't want you to get burned as a good samaritan.

                We've all gotten burned from time to time. It's part of the learning
                curve and an inevitable outcome of the occasional gamble taken on a
                poorly photographed or poorly described coin. Hopefully, one's more
                astute purchases more than make up for the lousy ones.