Re: STRUCK ONLY ONCE

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
      I noticed the profile as well. It's still a very late-stage
      counterbrockage. Nothing compared to your gorgeous 1968-D early
      counterbrockage. Were you looking to get both an early and a late
      counterbrockage to show a sort of progression?

      In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
      neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
      flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage of
      the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
      blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a raised,
      normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a bid
      but I suspect it wasn't enough.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > There is actually more of the counterbrockage showing. If you look
      hard in the right-hand
      > field outside the obvious, normal-sized profile of Lincoln, you'll
      see the counterbrockage
      > profile including Lincoln's distorted chin, mouth, and huge nose
      (at 2:00). I suspect that
      > upon personal examination, there may be even more to see. At least
      I hope so... I haven't
      > bought many error coins lately on eBay, but this one really grabbed
      me. It fills a hole in
      > my collection and I couldn't resist picking it up.
      >
      > Thad
    • copstaffer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Mike. You're exactly right. I wanted a late counterbrockage to go with my early one. I
        haven't been scouring eBay like I used to, but counterbrockages seem difficult to find
        regardless of the stage of the strike, so I thought I'd better pick this nice one up. Maybe
        Allan (the underbidder) had the same idea...? The price was a little high, but how many
        have you seen???

        Thad

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@a...>
        wrote:
        > I noticed the profile as well. It's still a very late-stage
        > counterbrockage. Nothing compared to your gorgeous 1968-D early
        > counterbrockage. Were you looking to get both an early and a late
        > counterbrockage to show a sort of progression?
        >
        > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
        > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
        > flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage of
        > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
        > blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a raised,
        > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a bid
        > but I suspect it wasn't enough.
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > There is actually more of the counterbrockage showing. If you look
        > hard in the right-hand
        > > field outside the obvious, normal-sized profile of Lincoln, you'll
        > see the counterbrockage
        > > profile including Lincoln's distorted chin, mouth, and huge nose
        > (at 2:00). I suspect that
        > > upon personal examination, there may be even more to see. At least
        > I hope so... I haven't
        > > bought many error coins lately on eBay, but this one really grabbed
        > me. It fills a hole in
        > > my collection and I couldn't resist picking it up.
        > >
        > > Thad
      • Marc
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
          Thad, it's still a very nice coin and a fine addition to any
          collection.

          Mike: Thanks for the super counterbrockage primer. I've not before
          seen all 3 ways a CB is made described in print, but only briefly
          described at best. It made me realize one scenario that I had not
          envisioned before.

          Two additional notes:

          1. You must agree to compile that 'magnum opus' as a lexicon for your
          flock.
          2. I can still kick myself, even though broke at the time, for
          letting Susan's 1971-S CB cent go by without a bid some weeks
          back. (~$153). I should have mortgaged Boardwalk and Park Place...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
            <numismistake@y...> wrote:

            > Mike: Thanks for the super counterbrockage primer. I've not before
            > seen all 3 ways a brockage-counterbrockage is made described in
            print, but only briefly
            > described at best. It made me realize one scenario that I had not
            > envisioned before.

            > Two additional notes:
            >
            > 1. You must agree to compile that 'magnum opus' as a lexicon for your
            > flock.

            A book would take a lot of time. Lexicon I can do, though. I will
            compile a comprehensive error/variety checklist. That alone will run
            to at least 20 typed pages. When I've completed it, I will post it in
            the "Files" or "Database" section, whichever is easier.

            Give me a month or so. :)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
              Turns out I was the only bidder on the Georgia quarter in Jim's latest
              auction described as a "counterbrockage of the reverse on the obverse".
              Unfortunately, it's not a counterbrockage. It's a conventional partial
              brockage. Some of the letters (e.g., JUSTICE) are in raised, mirror-
              image form, because the normal letters that correspond to them are
              incuse. I guess the raised letters caused some confusion on Jim and
              Len's part.

              I now have to decide whether to return it. $360 ain't bad these days
              for a 95% partial brockage on a state quarter, but it's not an error
              type I'm particularly in need of.

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
              > > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
              > > flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage
              of
              > > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
              > > blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a
              raised,
              > > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a
              bid
              > > but I suspect it wasn't enough.
            • robert risi
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                YEAH ITS TOUGH TO BUY/BID ON ERROR COINS WITHOUT A PICTURE....UNLESS THAT ONE DID? NOT SURE....I WAS THE WINNER OF A NICE D/S DIME WITH AN INDENT MUSHROOM TYPE....QUITE DRAMATIC.......$239....DECENT FAIR PRICE FOR THE COIN WHICH WAS PHOTOGRAPHED IN JIM'S CATALOG.
                ROB

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
                > > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter.  It's a nearly full,
                > > flipover counterbrockage.  A Georgia quarter with a full brockage
                of
                > > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
                > > blank planchet.  When the two were struck together, it left a
                raised,
                > > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face.  I placed a
                bid
                > > but I suspect it wasn't enough.

                Discover Yahoo!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                  There was a picture, but it was hard to make out any details.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, robert risi

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
                    You can see the entire catalog (including pictures) at
                    www.jimscoins.net.

                    After some thought, I decided to keep the coin. I no longer have any
                    partial brockage quarters (sold 'em off), let alone brockaged state
                    quarters. This one is particularly interesting in that it may be
                    an "aligned brockage" from a partial die cap (2nd or 3rd strike), or it
                    may simply be a first-strike brockage from an off-center quarter that
                    just happened to land in such a way that the brockage and normal design
                    elements are in close alignment. Add to that the raised, mirror-image
                    design elements, and you've got a rather interesting variation on the
                    theme.

                    Still, if anyone has a coin that has an equivalent coolness factor, and
                    is something I'm interested in, I'm up for a trade.