Re: STRUCK ONLY ONCE

  • copstaffer
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31 7:55 PM
      There is actually more of the counterbrockage showing. If you look hard in the right-hand
      field outside the obvious, normal-sized profile of Lincoln, you'll see the counterbrockage
      profile including Lincoln's distorted chin, mouth, and huge nose (at 2:00). I suspect that
      upon personal examination, there may be even more to see. At least I hope so... I haven't
      bought many error coins lately on eBay, but this one really grabbed me. It fills a hole in
      my collection and I couldn't resist picking it up.

      Thad

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@y...>

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
        I noticed the profile as well. It's still a very late-stage
        counterbrockage. Nothing compared to your gorgeous 1968-D early
        counterbrockage. Were you looking to get both an early and a late
        counterbrockage to show a sort of progression?

        In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
        neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
        flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage of
        the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
        blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a raised,
        normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a bid
        but I suspect it wasn't enough.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > There is actually more of the counterbrockage showing. If you look
        hard in the right-hand
        > field outside the obvious, normal-sized profile of Lincoln, you'll
        see the counterbrockage
        > profile including Lincoln's distorted chin, mouth, and huge nose
        (at 2:00). I suspect that
        > upon personal examination, there may be even more to see. At least
        I hope so... I haven't
        > bought many error coins lately on eBay, but this one really grabbed
        me. It fills a hole in
        > my collection and I couldn't resist picking it up.
        >
        > Thad
      • copstaffer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
          Hi Mike. You're exactly right. I wanted a late counterbrockage to go with my early one. I
          haven't been scouring eBay like I used to, but counterbrockages seem difficult to find
          regardless of the stage of the strike, so I thought I'd better pick this nice one up. Maybe
          Allan (the underbidder) had the same idea...? The price was a little high, but how many
          have you seen???

          Thad

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@a...>
          wrote:
          > I noticed the profile as well. It's still a very late-stage
          > counterbrockage. Nothing compared to your gorgeous 1968-D early
          > counterbrockage. Were you looking to get both an early and a late
          > counterbrockage to show a sort of progression?
          >
          > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
          > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
          > flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage of
          > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
          > blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a raised,
          > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a bid
          > but I suspect it wasn't enough.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > There is actually more of the counterbrockage showing. If you look
          > hard in the right-hand
          > > field outside the obvious, normal-sized profile of Lincoln, you'll
          > see the counterbrockage
          > > profile including Lincoln's distorted chin, mouth, and huge nose
          > (at 2:00). I suspect that
          > > upon personal examination, there may be even more to see. At least
          > I hope so... I haven't
          > > bought many error coins lately on eBay, but this one really grabbed
          > me. It fills a hole in
          > > my collection and I couldn't resist picking it up.
          > >
          > > Thad
        • Marc
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
            Thad, it's still a very nice coin and a fine addition to any
            collection.

            Mike: Thanks for the super counterbrockage primer. I've not before
            seen all 3 ways a CB is made described in print, but only briefly
            described at best. It made me realize one scenario that I had not
            envisioned before.

            Two additional notes:

            1. You must agree to compile that 'magnum opus' as a lexicon for your
            flock.
            2. I can still kick myself, even though broke at the time, for
            letting Susan's 1971-S CB cent go by without a bid some weeks
            back. (~$153). I should have mortgaged Boardwalk and Park Place...
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
              <numismistake@y...> wrote:

              > Mike: Thanks for the super counterbrockage primer. I've not before
              > seen all 3 ways a brockage-counterbrockage is made described in
              print, but only briefly
              > described at best. It made me realize one scenario that I had not
              > envisioned before.

              > Two additional notes:
              >
              > 1. You must agree to compile that 'magnum opus' as a lexicon for your
              > flock.

              A book would take a lot of time. Lexicon I can do, though. I will
              compile a comprehensive error/variety checklist. That alone will run
              to at least 20 typed pages. When I've completed it, I will post it in
              the "Files" or "Database" section, whichever is easier.

              Give me a month or so. :)
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                Turns out I was the only bidder on the Georgia quarter in Jim's latest
                auction described as a "counterbrockage of the reverse on the obverse".
                Unfortunately, it's not a counterbrockage. It's a conventional partial
                brockage. Some of the letters (e.g., JUSTICE) are in raised, mirror-
                image form, because the normal letters that correspond to them are
                incuse. I guess the raised letters caused some confusion on Jim and
                Len's part.

                I now have to decide whether to return it. $360 ain't bad these days
                for a 95% partial brockage on a state quarter, but it's not an error
                type I'm particularly in need of.

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
                > > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter. It's a nearly full,
                > > flipover counterbrockage. A Georgia quarter with a full brockage
                of
                > > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
                > > blank planchet. When the two were struck together, it left a
                raised,
                > > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face. I placed a
                bid
                > > but I suspect it wasn't enough.
              • robert risi
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                  YEAH ITS TOUGH TO BUY/BID ON ERROR COINS WITHOUT A PICTURE....UNLESS THAT ONE DID? NOT SURE....I WAS THE WINNER OF A NICE D/S DIME WITH AN INDENT MUSHROOM TYPE....QUITE DRAMATIC.......$239....DECENT FAIR PRICE FOR THE COIN WHICH WAS PHOTOGRAPHED IN JIM'S CATALOG.
                  ROB

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > > In Jim's Coins latest auction (just concluded), there is a really
                  > > neat counterbrockage on a Georgia quarter.  It's a nearly full,
                  > > flipover counterbrockage.  A Georgia quarter with a full brockage
                  of
                  > > the reverse design on the obverse face flipped over and landed on a
                  > > blank planchet.  When the two were struck together, it left a
                  raised,
                  > > normally-oriented reverse design on the obverse face.  I placed a
                  bid
                  > > but I suspect it wasn't enough.

                  Discover Yahoo!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                    There was a picture, but it was hard to make out any details.

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, robert risi

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
                      You can see the entire catalog (including pictures) at
                      www.jimscoins.net.

                      After some thought, I decided to keep the coin. I no longer have any
                      partial brockage quarters (sold 'em off), let alone brockaged state
                      quarters. This one is particularly interesting in that it may be
                      an "aligned brockage" from a partial die cap (2nd or 3rd strike), or it
                      may simply be a first-strike brockage from an off-center quarter that
                      just happened to land in such a way that the brockage and normal design
                      elements are in close alignment. Add to that the raised, mirror-image
                      design elements, and you've got a rather interesting variation on the
                      theme.

                      Still, if anyone has a coin that has an equivalent coolness factor, and
                      is something I'm interested in, I'm up for a trade.