Re: blow hole

    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2005
      Another reason I like Fred's quarter is that overweight foreign
      planchet errors are tough to come by. The only similar error I have in
      my collection is a 1919 cent struck on a 3.4g Cu-Ni foreign planchet,
      presumably that of an Argentina 20 centavos.

      Man, I remember back around 1999/2000, the latter were selling for $80
      in VF condition. I saw three sell at that level (two 1919, one 1920),
      and I bought the last one. Good thing I did, as they've really
      skyrocketed. Wish I would've bought them all. But back then, the
      place to invest was high-tech and communications stocks. Too funny.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2005
        Thanks. I'll just write Eric Von Klinger for a copy. When I get it,
        I'll share the data with the rest of you.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2005
          It's definitely not an elliptical clip. There are a variety of edge
          textures, but you don't see the "belly line" or "breakaway zone"
          characteristic of blanking shear.

          There's only a little bit of roughness on the edge, so I don't think
          this one originated by the blanking die slicing through a region of
          interlacing cracks and fissures. If that were the case, the entire
          edge would look grainy.

          The origin of this fragment is therefore a complete mystery. I have no
          doubt it's real. There is subtle metal flow in some of the design
          elements bordering the irregular edge. Also, there is no sign of
          mechanical damage and no pressure ridges on either face next to the
          irregular edge.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin"