RE: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: blow hole

  • Steve Mills
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2005
      Marc,

      That's exactly what happened. The Sniper hit with a bid either right on or >
      $800 (The reserve) and the Proxy system reduced it to $800.

      The last one I saw, although it was a cent, sold for about $100. I know NOTHING
      about prices any more.

      Later.....
      Steve

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2005
        $800 for a piece of bonded coin shrapnel is wildly excessive, in my
        opinion. It's possible that the high bidder has no clue that it broke
        away from a larger pile-up.

        I wonder what it would have sold for had it been accurately described.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2005
          If a piece of coin shrapnel can bring this kind of money, I'm rather
          curious what a true struck fragment will bring. So will I put one up
          for auction. I won't post a link, since I don't want people to think
          I'm promoting one of my coins on the message board.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2005
            The coin is still in its slab. This is one coin I don't want to
            crack out because people are justifiably suspicious of full
            thickness, full diameter off-metal errors. If I ever decided to sell
            it, it would take a serious hit in its raw state.

            I actually saw the coin before it was slabbed. It was discovered in
            my home town, and one of my local dealers showed it to me. It was
            apparently found in a newspaper vending machine by the fellow who
            gathers up the change at the end of the week. It made quite a
            circuit from the local coin shop, to a Heritage auction, to Fred's
            site, onto eBay, and back home to my collection. It didn't
            appreciate much in price through that circuit. I guess it doesn't
            have "eye appeal". But I like it for what it represents.

            I'm curious where you're getting your information about foreign coins
            struck at the Mint post-1980. Anything I can tap into?

            <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
            > ahhh, that was solid color 25c. No sandwich metal. That IS a more
            > intersting wrong planchet 25c.
            >
            > You had to crack that out of it's slab to see the bonus.
            >
            > ;^)
            >
            > Those solid metal planchets were produced for the Dominican in 1982
            > also. That is asumming they didn't switch to sandwich clad.
            >
            > My bu blow hole 83 cent is so incredibly nice I cannot $450 for it.
            >
            > It's gotta be MS67, if being flawless and bright red matters?
            >
            > I think this error collector mindset contributes to the ever
            > increasing error values.
            >
            > When errors find a new home they remain for years or decades.
            >
            > Lindy
          • Kevin
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2005
              Mike,

              I just looked at the photo. It looks like the fragment looks
              eliptical on two sides. Could it have been a clean football shape
              going into the press and the present irregularity merely do to the
              spreading of the metal during minting?

              Kevin

              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

                > Since it's solid metal the sandwich-free I think seeing the
                >sandwich free reeding would be a big plus when you sold it.

                You might be right. Anyway, it's academic at this point since I plan
                to keep it for a long time.

                > Thats one of my best held secrets:
                > that "post-1980" info you slyly seek.

                Do you have a link to the on-line Coin World article that contains
                the post-1980 information? I only could find the article that goes
                up to 1926.

                I've seen a few other post-1984 U.S. coins on foreign coins or
                planchets. I know there are a few Sac dollars like this, and a few
                months back "paperchasesue" sold a recent nickel struck on a smaller
                steel planchet.

                I suspect that the Mint occasionally gets planchets from the Royal
                Canadian Mint and from private outside suppliers for denominations
                other than cents. Years ago some guys from my local coin club came
                back from a plant in Iowa that supplied dime blanks to the Mint, and
                they brought back chopped webbing to prove it.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                  Another reason I like Fred's quarter is that overweight foreign
                  planchet errors are tough to come by. The only similar error I have in
                  my collection is a 1919 cent struck on a 3.4g Cu-Ni foreign planchet,
                  presumably that of an Argentina 20 centavos.

                  Man, I remember back around 1999/2000, the latter were selling for $80
                  in VF condition. I saw three sell at that level (two 1919, one 1920),
                  and I bought the last one. Good thing I did, as they've really
                  skyrocketed. Wish I would've bought them all. But back then, the
                  place to invest was high-tech and communications stocks. Too funny.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                    Thanks. I'll just write Eric Von Klinger for a copy. When I get it,
                    I'll share the data with the rest of you.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                      It's definitely not an elliptical clip. There are a variety of edge
                      textures, but you don't see the "belly line" or "breakaway zone"
                      characteristic of blanking shear.

                      There's only a little bit of roughness on the edge, so I don't think
                      this one originated by the blanking die slicing through a region of
                      interlacing cracks and fissures. If that were the case, the entire
                      edge would look grainy.

                      The origin of this fragment is therefore a complete mystery. I have no
                      doubt it's real. There is subtle metal flow in some of the design
                      elements bordering the irregular edge. Also, there is no sign of
                      mechanical damage and no pressure ridges on either face next to the
                      irregular edge.

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin"