Re: blow hole

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 12:31 PM
      If I was gloating, I apologize. It was never my intent to do so. I
      simply wanted to share my surprise and pleasure that such a coin would
      sell for such an unexpected price. I doubt my good fortune will be
      repeated should I offer up a similar error in the future.

      As to the missing "T", the appearance you note is not unexpected in a
      filled die error. The texture of the plug of compacted gunk, along
      with its spread outside the confines of the letter, will determine the
      size and texture of the affected zone.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Bunch"
      <goldpans@i...> wrote:

      > I don't know anything about a "blowhole" but it's nice to hear you
      > gloat about something.
      > I do have one question though, on that new style "athiest" nickel,
      > would the missing letter "T" look so smudged where the "T" is
      supposed
      > to be?
    • Marc
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 3:37 PM
        Mike: I don't think that you're gloating. And, if you are, it's sure
        time to do so when such a price is realized for this type of error. I
        did bid on this coin the night before, about $65, and when the bidding
        was $32. I was not so surprised to see that I lost it in absentia (I
        was working). But, 2 bidders at that high price if fantastic. Gloat
        all you want!

        I have another coin that seems to have left the solar system and
        completely fooled me. I bid $85+ again in absentia for what appeared
        as the remains of a failing die cap that got damaged as it broke
        away..only to find that night after work that it went for $800 ! I
        don't understand the bidding that got it to $800 (see bid history), as
        the underbidder was $327 (even that's very high!). Might be the
        reserve price. Here's the link, and, if it was my sale, boy would I
        gloat...

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3970472684
      • Steve Mills
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3 3:59 PM
          Marc,

          That's exactly what happened. The Sniper hit with a bid either right on or >
          $800 (The reserve) and the Proxy system reduced it to $800.

          The last one I saw, although it was a cent, sold for about $100. I know NOTHING
          about prices any more.

          Later.....
          Steve

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 6:02 PM
            $800 for a piece of bonded coin shrapnel is wildly excessive, in my
            opinion. It's possible that the high bidder has no clue that it broke
            away from a larger pile-up.

            I wonder what it would have sold for had it been accurately described.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3 7:09 PM
              If a piece of coin shrapnel can bring this kind of money, I'm rather
              curious what a true struck fragment will bring. So will I put one up
              for auction. I won't post a link, since I don't want people to think
              I'm promoting one of my coins on the message board.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 4 8:29 AM
                The coin is still in its slab. This is one coin I don't want to
                crack out because people are justifiably suspicious of full
                thickness, full diameter off-metal errors. If I ever decided to sell
                it, it would take a serious hit in its raw state.

                I actually saw the coin before it was slabbed. It was discovered in
                my home town, and one of my local dealers showed it to me. It was
                apparently found in a newspaper vending machine by the fellow who
                gathers up the change at the end of the week. It made quite a
                circuit from the local coin shop, to a Heritage auction, to Fred's
                site, onto eBay, and back home to my collection. It didn't
                appreciate much in price through that circuit. I guess it doesn't
                have "eye appeal". But I like it for what it represents.

                I'm curious where you're getting your information about foreign coins
                struck at the Mint post-1980. Anything I can tap into?

                <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
                > ahhh, that was solid color 25c. No sandwich metal. That IS a more
                > intersting wrong planchet 25c.
                >
                > You had to crack that out of it's slab to see the bonus.
                >
                > ;^)
                >
                > Those solid metal planchets were produced for the Dominican in 1982
                > also. That is asumming they didn't switch to sandwich clad.
                >
                > My bu blow hole 83 cent is so incredibly nice I cannot $450 for it.
                >
                > It's gotta be MS67, if being flawless and bright red matters?
                >
                > I think this error collector mindset contributes to the ever
                > increasing error values.
                >
                > When errors find a new home they remain for years or decades.
                >
                > Lindy
              • Kevin
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4 10:37 AM
                  Mike,

                  I just looked at the photo. It looks like the fragment looks
                  eliptical on two sides. Could it have been a clean football shape
                  going into the press and the present irregularity merely do to the
                  spreading of the metal during minting?

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4 12:37 PM
                    <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

                    > Since it's solid metal the sandwich-free I think seeing the
                    >sandwich free reeding would be a big plus when you sold it.

                    You might be right. Anyway, it's academic at this point since I plan
                    to keep it for a long time.

                    > Thats one of my best held secrets:
                    > that "post-1980" info you slyly seek.

                    Do you have a link to the on-line Coin World article that contains
                    the post-1980 information? I only could find the article that goes
                    up to 1926.

                    I've seen a few other post-1984 U.S. coins on foreign coins or
                    planchets. I know there are a few Sac dollars like this, and a few
                    months back "paperchasesue" sold a recent nickel struck on a smaller
                    steel planchet.

                    I suspect that the Mint occasionally gets planchets from the Royal
                    Canadian Mint and from private outside suppliers for denominations
                    other than cents. Years ago some guys from my local coin club came
                    back from a plant in Iowa that supplied dime blanks to the Mint, and
                    they brought back chopped webbing to prove it.
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4 12:50 PM
                      Another reason I like Fred's quarter is that overweight foreign
                      planchet errors are tough to come by. The only similar error I have in
                      my collection is a 1919 cent struck on a 3.4g Cu-Ni foreign planchet,
                      presumably that of an Argentina 20 centavos.

                      Man, I remember back around 1999/2000, the latter were selling for $80
                      in VF condition. I saw three sell at that level (two 1919, one 1920),
                      and I bought the last one. Good thing I did, as they've really
                      skyrocketed. Wish I would've bought them all. But back then, the
                      place to invest was high-tech and communications stocks. Too funny.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4 3:03 PM
                        Thanks. I'll just write Eric Von Klinger for a copy. When I get it,
                        I'll share the data with the rest of you.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 6 6:29 AM
                          It's definitely not an elliptical clip. There are a variety of edge
                          textures, but you don't see the "belly line" or "breakaway zone"
                          characteristic of blanking shear.

                          There's only a little bit of roughness on the edge, so I don't think
                          this one originated by the blanking die slicing through a region of
                          interlacing cracks and fissures. If that were the case, the entire
                          edge would look grainy.

                          The origin of this fragment is therefore a complete mystery. I have no
                          doubt it's real. There is subtle metal flow in some of the design
                          elements bordering the irregular edge. Also, there is no sign of
                          mechanical damage and no pressure ridges on either face next to the
                          irregular edge.

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin"