Re: Error Grading

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
      Thickness appears the same. However, it's clear that the reeding on
      the "weakly struck" dime was obliterated outside the Mint. If this
      was a genuine case of a coin struck out-of-collar (a cause of absent
      reeding) 1) the diameter would be greater than a normal dime, and 2)
      the edge would be trapezoidal in vertical cross section, not flat.
      If this was a genuine weak strike, 1) there would be a
      recognizable "proto-rim" along the periphery of the coin, 2) the edge
      would be trapezoidal in cross-section, 3) the rim/edge junction would
      be beveled, 4) traces of reeding would be found in the middle of the
      edge, not along the margin, 5) there would be weakness on the reverse
      opposite Roosevelt's head.

      All signs of a genuine broadstrike and a genuine weak strike are
      absent. The featureless ring on each face is smooth and lacks
      tumbling marks. Yet another indicator of fakery. This coin is bad
      to the bone. :)

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bunchthomas"