Re: MORE ON HOME MADE RIMS

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2005
      Yeah, that broadstruck half dollar does have a peculiar looking
      periphery. Perhaps the planchet was damaged before the strike? It's
      hard to tell. Did you place a bid on it?

      It does seem to be the case that nicknames are making a roaring
      comeback in the error hobby. I had hoped I'd seen the last
      of "spiked heads", "cracked skulls", and "Bugs Bunny teeth". But now
      we've got "extra leaves", "speared bison", "wounded eagles", and so
      on ad infinitum. Some of these are interesting examples of die
      damage to be sure, but applying nicknames to them simply obscures
      their nature. The only thing we can do is watch with bemusement as
      the hucksters milk each error for all its worth.

      As far as eBay goes, it's always been a minefield. The only defense
      is education.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
      <numismistake@y...> wrote:

      > Last week (message #7833 and after) discussed a broadstruck quarter
      > with very unusual uneven rims. Here's the link again:
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3965863924
      >
      > I suggested that you could make such a coin by placing it between 2
      > open ended pieces of pipe and tapping on them to flatten the rim
      but
      > not touch the design.
      >
      > I have since seen another strange rim type, this time listed in
      Jim's
      > Coins (formerly Len's) auction #7 ending today. It is pictured in
      the
      > catalog, lot #145, but the page is missing from the online photos
      so
      > I cannot provide that link. Instead, I added the picture of the
      > catalog picture (a digital of a digital) to Photos -> Fakes -> last
      > photo.
      >
      > The auction description is:
      > "#145 1989 P HALF LGE CENTERED BROADSTRIKE THEN SOME SMART??
      PERSON