Re: Folded Twice Struck-Thru

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2005
      It is an intriguing strike-thru error.

      It's unlikely that the reverse was struck through a die cap. It is
      very difficult for a coin that's trapped on the anvil die to thin to
      this extent, as there is no escape for the metal, other than to
      squeeze into the thin gap between die neck and collar. It's unlikely
      that finning could remove sufficient metal to allow a nice bleed-
      through of the reverse design.

      Most coins with a fuzzy reverse like this appear to be struck through
      split planchets. Sometimes you can see the striations on the
      reverse, but that requires the split surface to face up.

      It's possible that the split planchet split yet again, allowing a
      piece to lift up and fold over. It didn't come from the area below
      and to the left of the semilunar indentation, as that area is just as
      fuzzy as the area above the semilunar indentation. While it may have
      come from the more clearly struck area around AMERICA, we don't see
      the expected sharp demarcation.

      So it's still a bit of a mystery where the semilunar indentation came

      -- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
      <numismistake@y...> wrote:
      > I had the pleasure of finding this nice struck-thru coin. (SEE
      Photos -