question about error types

  • P........
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      How valuable is which error and how rare/common are they? Is there a
      site with some sort of list which categorizes error types and
      suggests how much value which error on which coin of which year
      (modern) might have? I think I found a pretty obvious double struck
      on a dime from 1985, also a quarter with some strange errors on it
      (finn on back of eagle's head, etc), also a dime with some
      deformations on roosevelt's head. I'm gonna scan them in as soon as I
      get to go to my sister - no scanners in library :(

      Greetings, P.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Unlike conventional coins, it is virtually impossible to come up with
        a reliable price list. You're dealing with several hundred basic
        errors types, numerous subtypes, and an infinite number of
        combinations and permutations. Price is also determined by
        condition, date, denomination, and other factors.

        It takes a while to get a sense of what any particular error is
        worth. You might follow some eBay auctions to see what prices are
        like for an array of errors.

        You might want to start your education by browsing through the CONECA
        website at www.conecaonline.org. I would also advise you to buy some
        of the standard references, like the Error Coin Encyclopedia and The
        Official Price Guide to Mint Errors, which is actually useless as a
        price guide, but which is a decent compendium of errors.

        There are many causes of doubling, so it's unlikely that your dime is
        a double strike.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "P........"