Re: What the heck happened to this?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Jul 3, 2001
      I'm having trouble visualizing the sequence of
      events you are suggesting. In any event, I see no sign
      of post-strike damage, whether it be caused by the
      ejection mechanism, contact with the collar, or any other
      source. I don't see anything that would point to the
      presence of a now disarticulated stack. However, the
      strange shape and texture of the struck through area
      tells me that whatever was involved was probably struck
      numerous times and that it may have come from a pile-up.
      No way to know for sure.
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.