penny pimples

  • Grimaldon@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hey, I just found a 1998 US penny with little raised bumps on the
      obverse. They remind me of pimples. What could cause this? Is it
      just lots of little pits due to the die wearing out?

      Kevin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        You are describing a case of "blistered plating". The surface of the
        planchet was dirty, and once the plating was desposited, corrosion
        commenced beneath the surface, which raised up the bubbles.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Grimaldon@y...
        wrote:

        > Hey, I just found a 1998 US penny with little raised bumps on the
        > obverse. They remind me of pimples. What could cause this? Is it
        > just lots of little pits due to the die wearing out?
        >
        > Kevin
      • Kevin L. Stewart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          Weird. I've never seen it before. It is common?

          Kevin

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
            Very common. Especially in the early years.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin L.