Brief write-up wanted

  • hspindel
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      Hi,

      I am the webmaster of the Willamette Coin Club at www.pdxcoinclub.org
      (and an occasional poster here, but I'm more a variety guy than an
      error guy - you can see more of my work at www.shieldnickels.net).

      On our club web page we have a numismatic picture gallery.

      Some time ago one of our members sent me some very beautiful error
      coin pictures to display in the picture gallery, but after waiting at
      least a couple years I have given up on ever getting a writeup from
      her describing what the errors are and how they were made.

      These pictures are posted at:

      http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/StrikingErrors/StrikingErrors.html

      If someone in this group would like to do a brief write-up on each of
      the pictured errors, I would really like to have that and you would
      get a credit for the write-up (no cash, sorry!). I figured this group
      was the best place to look for the proper expertise.

      A little introduction stating what error coins are and why they are
      neat would be useful, followed by a description of each of the coins
      with its correct technical name and how that error occurs.

      If anybody is up for that I would really appreciate it. It would be
      best to communicate any interest to me first, so that if multiple
      people were interested that I do not waste people's time with multiple
      write-ups.

      If no one wants to do a write-up, I thought you all might enjoy seeing
      the pictures anyway.

      Thanks very much,
      Howard Spindel
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
        Hi Howard.

        Those are some errors! I'll write up something for you.

        -- Mike Diamond

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, hspindel

        www.pdxcoinclub.org
        > (and an occasional poster here, but I'm more a variety guy than an
        > error guy - you can see more of my work at www.shieldnickels.net).
        >
        > On our club web page we have a numismatic picture gallery.
        >
        > Some time ago one of our members sent me some very beautiful error
        > coin pictures to display in the picture gallery, but after waiting
        at
        > least a couple years I have given up on ever getting a writeup from
        > her describing what the errors are and how they were made.
        >
        > These pictures are posted at:

        http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/StrikingErrors/StrikingErrors.html

        > If someone in this group would like to do a brief write-up on each
        of
        > the pictured errors, I would really like to have that and you would
        > get a credit for the write-up (no cash, sorry!). I figured this
        group
        > was the best place to look for the proper expertise.
        >
        > A little introduction stating what error coins are and why they are
        > neat would be useful, followed by a description of each of the coins
        > with its correct technical name and how that error occurs.
        >
        > If anybody is up for that I would really appreciate it. It would be
        > best to communicate any interest to me first, so that if multiple
        > people were interested that I do not waste people's time with
        multiple
        > write-ups.
        >
        > If no one wants to do a write-up, I thought you all might enjoy
        seeing
        > the pictures anyway.
        >
        > Thanks very much,
        > Howard Spindel
      • hspindel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
          Hi Mike,

          That would be terrific - thank you VERY MUCH!

          Howard

          <mdia1@a...> wrote:

          > Hi Howard.
          >
          > Those are some errors! I'll write up something for you.
          >
          > -- Mike Diamond
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, hspindel
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am the webmaster of the Willamette Coin Club at
          > www.pdxcoinclub.org
          > > (and an occasional poster here, but I'm more a variety guy than an
          > > error guy - you can see more of my work at www.shieldnickels.net).
          > >
          > > On our club web page we have a numismatic picture gallery.
          > >
          > > Some time ago one of our members sent me some very beautiful error
          > > coin pictures to display in the picture gallery, but after waiting
          > at
          > > least a couple years I have given up on ever getting a writeup from
          > > her describing what the errors are and how they were made.
          > >
          > > These pictures are posted at:
          > >

          > http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/StrikingErrors/StrikingErrors.html
          > >
          > > If someone in this group would like to do a brief write-up on each
          > of
          > > the pictured errors, I would really like to have that and you would
          > > get a credit for the write-up (no cash, sorry!). I figured this
          > group
          > > was the best place to look for the proper expertise.
          > >
          > > A little introduction stating what error coins are and why they are
          > > neat would be useful, followed by a description of each of the coins
          > > with its correct technical name and how that error occurs.
          > >
          > > If anybody is up for that I would really appreciate it. It would be
          > > best to communicate any interest to me first, so that if multiple
          > > people were interested that I do not waste people's time with
          > multiple
          > > write-ups.
          > >
          > > If no one wants to do a write-up, I thought you all might enjoy
          > seeing
          > > the pictures anyway.
          > >
          > > Thanks very much,
          > > Howard Spindel
        • numismistake
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
            Howard! I'm in die-cap heaven. Those are just wonderful! I'll let
            others who are more regular to this site write up a story for
            you...but you don't see those denominations as die caps very
            often...Happy and Merry!!!..Marc (numismistake)
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
              The coins pictured here are fantastically rare and valuable striking
              errors.

              The 1856 large cent is a deeply cupped broadstrike with a full,
              centered, first-strike brockage. Many would call it a die cap, but I
              see no evidence that it struck another coin after the initial strike
              that created the brockage. The brockage shows uniform clarity and
              expansion across the reverse face. If it had struck another planchet
              (creating a counterbrockage on the latter), the center of the
              brockage would be much more expanded than the periphery and much less
              clear. Evidently a large cent planchet was deposited on top of an
              already-struck large cent and the two were struck together out-of-
              collar.

              The 1886 Morgan dollar was created in the same way as the large
              cent. It too is a cupped broadstrike with a full, centered, first-
              strike brockage. There's no evidence here either of a second strike
              that would allow us to define it as a die cap. The obverse shows
              surface film doubling of much of the design (the white outlines that
              you see). This effect can be seen on more recent coins and is not in
              itself indicative of more than one strike. Surface film doubling in
              recent coins is apparently produced when either the die or the
              planchet has a very thin film of oil on the surface.

              The Indian cent and the Liberty Head nickel are both deeply cupped.
              They may be die caps, but we can't be sure until we see what the
              reverse looks like.

              Is this sufficient, Howard?

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am the webmaster of the Willamette Coin Club at
              www.pdxcoinclub.org
              > (and an occasional poster here, but I'm more a variety guy than an
              > error guy - you can see more of my work at www.shieldnickels.net).
              >
              > On our club web page we have a numismatic picture gallery.
              >
              > Some time ago one of our members sent me some very beautiful error
              > coin pictures to display in the picture gallery, but after waiting
              at
              > least a couple years I have given up on ever getting a writeup from
              > her describing what the errors are and how they were made.
              >
              > These pictures are posted at:

              http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/StrikingErrors/StrikingErrors.html

              > If someone in this group would like to do a brief write-up on each
              of
              > the pictured errors, I would really like to have that and you would
              > get a credit for the write-up (no cash, sorry!). I figured this
              group
              > was the best place to look for the proper expertise.
              >
              > A little introduction stating what error coins are and why they are
              > neat would be useful, followed by a description of each of the coins
              > with its correct technical name and how that error occurs.
              >
              > If anybody is up for that I would really appreciate it. It would be
              > best to communicate any interest to me first, so that if multiple
              > people were interested that I do not waste people's time with
              multiple
              > write-ups.
              >
              > If no one wants to do a write-up, I thought you all might enjoy
              seeing
              > the pictures anyway.
              >
              > Thanks very much,
              > Howard Spindel
            • hspindel
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
                Very good, Mike. I knew I came to the right place for an accurate
                write-up. Far better than I could have done on my own.

                I'll post again when I've had time to update the web page with the
                descriptions so you see it in all its glory.

                Thanks!
                Howard

                <mdia1@a...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > If someone in this group would like to do a brief write-up on each
                > of
                > > the pictured errors, I would really like to have that and you would
                > > get a credit for the write-up (no cash, sorry!). I figured this
                > group
                > > was the best place to look for the proper expertise.
                > >
                > > A little introduction stating what error coins are and why they are
                > > neat would be useful, followed by a description of each of the coins
                > > with its correct technical name and how that error occurs.
                > >
                > > If anybody is up for that I would really appreciate it. It would be
                > > best to communicate any interest to me first, so that if multiple
                > > people were interested that I do not waste people's time with
                > multiple
                > > write-ups.
                > >
                > > If no one wants to do a write-up, I thought you all might enjoy

              • hspindel
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
                  Hi Mike,

                  Here's what I did with the text you wrote. Thank you again for your
                  help - it was a real shame having those pictures on the club website
                  with no explanation.

                  http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/StrikingErrors/StrikingErrors.html

                  Thank you,
                  Howard

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
                    You are more than welcome, Howard. Feel free to ask for help any
                    time you need it.