Why are mint errors interesting?

  • Frank Vedel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi everybody,

      I hope that many members will write about their reason(s) to collect
      error coins and/or varieties.
      Maybe you read my article in Mint Error News about this topic.
      Almost every error coin collector has his/her individual reason(s).
      Please write a few lines about your incentive.

      Have a nice day,

      Frank
    • Frank Vedel
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
        Hi again,

        Well, maybe mint errors aren't interesting after all.

        Please write a few lines about your reason(s) to collect.

        Happy New Year,

        Frank aka adanisherrorcollector

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Vedel"

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
          I gave you my answer about five years ago, I think. You've been
          asking this question and collecting the answers for at least this
          long, so I figure that by now you've seen just about every possible
          rationale.

          Perhaps it's time to conclude your study, compile the data, analyze
          it, and then move on to something more productive. After all, the
          error field presents limitless possibilities for research.

          And a Happy New Year to you too, Frank.

          <frankv@j...> wrote:

          > Hi again,
          >
          > Well, maybe mint errors aren't interesting after all.
          >
          > Please write a few lines about your reason(s) to collect.
          >
          > Happy New Year,
          >
          > Frank aka adanisherrorcollector
        • Rafael Delgado
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
            Ther's one more possibility, Mike. A poll on error
            collector's endurance.

            errr...Just kidding, Frank. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR, MIKE,
            FRANK AND ALL THE OTHER GOOD FELLOW MEMBERS.
            Regards to all,
            Rafael

            --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

            > I gave you my answer about five years ago, I think.
            > You've been
            > asking this question and collecting the answers for at
            > least this
            > long, so I figure that by now you've seen just about
            > every possible
            > rationale.
            >
            > Perhaps it's time to conclude your study, compile the
            > data, analyze
            > it, and then move on to something more productive. After
            > all, the
            > error field presents limitless possibilities for
            > research.
            >
            > And a Happy New Year to you too, Frank.
            >

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
            > "Frank Vedel"
            > <frankv@j...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi again,
            > >
            > > Well, maybe mint errors aren't interesting after all.
            > >
            > > Please write a few lines about your reason(s) to
            > collect.
            > >
            > > Happy New Year,
            > >
            > > Frank aka adanisherrorcollector

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Frank Vedel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
              Hi Mike,

              I totally disagree with you in this subject, and I have no intention
              to conclude my study.
              Error coin collecting is a very personal matter, and every error
              collector has his/her own reason(s) to collect.
              It is true that I have been interested in this subject for several
              years. I started collecting errors in 1972, and I have been asked
              this question from non-error collectors over and over again.
              During the last 6-8 years I have compiled/read/heard about 150
              DIFFERENT reasons to collect numismatic errors.
              This string also gave a very interesting feedback, so I will go on
              in the future, too.
              I think my polls dealing with this subject are useful. 2708 votes
              have been placed on 75 different statements until now. I have also 7
              other error coin related polls, which combined give an interesting
              perspective on our hobby.
              The results of my first polls were published in Mint Error News, vol
              2, and in Mint Error News, vol 3, '85 Reasons To Collect Error
              Coins' was published.
              Some years ago the survey was kindly mentioned in a small artictle
              in ETCM.
              The survey has resulted in many personal e-mail letters across the
              ocean, and I have also met new fellow-collectors in this way. I have
              actually met 2 of them in person.

              Kind regards,

              Frank aka adanisherrorcollector

              PS! If any members are interested in reading the whole survey -
              please drop me a line at personal e-mail. Please use the headline:
              Survey.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
                Hi Frank.

                I didn't mean to disparage your psychological study at all. I simply
                find that, at a certain point, one experiences the law of diminishing
                returns. At that point, I generally wrap things up and move on to a
                new project. But everyone has their own style, and more power to
                them.

                The whole psychology behind collecting is fascinating, and I think
                peculiar to industrialized societies. I bet there's a whole
                literature out there that you can tap into.