Subject: Re: 1995 Multi-Strike brockage..NOT!!!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "numismistake"
      <numismistake@y...> wrote:

      > It's too bad not more is made of the capped die
      > strike. Lot's of wild things get into our collections because of
      > them...Marc (numismistake

      Capped die strikes are one of my favorite categories. There are so
      many wierd effects. You occasionally encounter forms of doubling
      that completely elude explanation. For example, there are "expansion
      ripples" -- one or two sets of RAISED outlines paralleling central
      design elements. I have three examples of that. I have one cent
      struck through a shifted cap which features two raised versions of
      TRUST offset in an entirely different direction from the normally
      oriented incuse elements. I saw a cent struck through a very rotated
      die cap that featured close, raised doubling of the date and LIBERTY
      in adddition to the expected incuse design elements. I have a dime
      struck through what I think was a struck clad layer which features a
      mixture of incuse and raised design elements, all in their correct
      positions relative to each other.

      Kooky stuff, and endlessly fascinating.