Re: Indian head die cap -- real or fake?

  • alscoins
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3940363147

      Looks like we all slept through the deal of the month. Just goes to
      show what a picture is worth. Those blurry pictures that everyone saw
      from the original listing made the coin very questionable. However,
      the new owner's pictures really shows the coin to be genuine. See the
      multiple strikes on the obverse & reverse (link above)? Plus, note
      the metal flow which properly illustrates the distortion of the
      design.

      How much is it worth??? Take a look at the new asking price now!

      Allan

      http://www.alscoins.com

      <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

      > If dollars were votes, I'd say its 100% authentic...
      >
      > $12,601.
      >
      > I wonder what it'll retail for now.
      >
      > Lindy

      > <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm rather suspicious of this obverse die cap:
      > >
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > > ViewItem&category=524&item=3937843557
      > >
      > > I don't like the looks of the circular groove on the reverse. I
      > > don't like the fact that the denticles do not show any spread. I
      > > don't like the look of the edge.
      > >
      > > I suspect that this coin was tapped into its present shape. The
      > > obverse is unaffected, but it might have been supported by some
      hard
      > > wax or other medium softer than the copper alloy of the coin.
      > >
      > > What say the rest of you?
    • robert wilharm
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
        LOL
        Boy did I hit that nail square on the head.
        Robert

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2004
          Yup. No question now about its authenticity.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins