Re: strange wheat cent

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      This is almost certainly a "filled die" error. The recess of the die
      face corresponding to the letter "L" was filled with a thick paste,
      most likely comprised of a mixture of grease and metal dust.

      Filled die errors are very common.

      You may post pictures in our "Photos" section.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "salteeus"
      <lotus33@v...> wrote:

      > I have a wheat cent that appears to be missing the "L" (or at least
      > part of it) in Liberty. I can't find any disruption of metal that
      > may indicate damage, looking under a loupe there isn't even an
      > impression of the bottom of the "L" at all. I am new here, can I
      > post a pix somewhere?
      > Thanks
      >
      > Barbara
    • salteeus
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        Thanks Mike. I added a photo in the photo section, an album called
        strange wheat cent. Hope I did it right. I've been a collector for
        years, never got into collecting errors, so I need the education.

        Barbara

        errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          I looked at your photo. It's not a filled die error. The coin is
          simply damaged. The letter "L" has been pushed to the right so that
          it lies abnormally close to the "I". It has also been distorted.
          The soft copper-alloy metal is easily pushed around.