strange wheat cent

  • salteeus
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      I have a wheat cent that appears to be missing the "L" (or at least
      part of it) in Liberty. I can't find any disruption of metal that
      may indicate damage, looking under a loupe there isn't even an
      impression of the bottom of the "L" at all. I am new here, can I
      post a pix somewhere?
      Thanks

      Barbara
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
        This is almost certainly a "filled die" error. The recess of the die
        face corresponding to the letter "L" was filled with a thick paste,
        most likely comprised of a mixture of grease and metal dust.

        Filled die errors are very common.

        You may post pictures in our "Photos" section.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "salteeus"
        <lotus33@v...> wrote:

        > I have a wheat cent that appears to be missing the "L" (or at least
        > part of it) in Liberty. I can't find any disruption of metal that
        > may indicate damage, looking under a loupe there isn't even an
        > impression of the bottom of the "L" at all. I am new here, can I
        > post a pix somewhere?
        > Thanks
        >
        > Barbara
      • salteeus
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          Thanks Mike. I added a photo in the photo section, an album called
          strange wheat cent. Hope I did it right. I've been a collector for
          years, never got into collecting errors, so I need the education.

          Barbara

          errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
            I looked at your photo. It's not a filled die error. The coin is
            simply damaged. The letter "L" has been pushed to the right so that
            it lies abnormally close to the "I". It has also been distorted.
            The soft copper-alloy metal is easily pushed around.