Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] 2004 nickel with straight clip

  • LALASD4
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
      The coin looks like full size, how can it be one
      fourth the weight?

      How can a fragment like this get to the press anyways?

      --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

      > This 2004-P nickel was struck off-center on a
      > straight-clipped
      > planchet:
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933848057
      >
      > I'm not sure that the current price is warranted, as
      > the obverse
      > appears to have some severe abrasions at the top of
      > Jefferson's head
      > and on the area to the right of it.
      >
      > It doesn't seem to be a weak strike or a
      > strike-through error because:
      >
      > 1. There is no corresponding weakness on the reverse
      > 2. The abraded appearance shows up on both the
      > die-struck and
      > unstruck areas of the coin.
      > 3. The affected area is quite flat and appears to
      > show fine parallel
      > striations.
      >
      > Far from "choice condition", as far as I can tell.

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • LALASD4
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
        He got the wrong weight for a normal nickel.

        United States, Jefferson Nickel, 2004, Struck on Light
        Weight Fragment of 4.4 Grams, Normal Weight is 17.5
        Grams. Condition - Choice Uncirculated. Spectacular
        Error.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
          Yes, normal weight is 5 grams. The reported weight reduction seems
          to be in line with the size of the clip.

          I wonder if this coin would slab between MS-62 and MS-64, as have so
          many other seriously abraded errors that I've seen over the years.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, LALASD4