2004 nickel with straight clip

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2004
      This 2004-P nickel was struck off-center on a straight-clipped
      planchet:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=3933848057

      I'm not sure that the current price is warranted, as the obverse
      appears to have some severe abrasions at the top of Jefferson's head
      and on the area to the right of it.

      It doesn't seem to be a weak strike or a strike-through error because:

      1. There is no corresponding weakness on the reverse
      2. The abraded appearance shows up on both the die-struck and
      unstruck areas of the coin.
      3. The affected area is quite flat and appears to show fine parallel
      striations.

      Far from "choice condition", as far as I can tell.
    • LALASD4
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
        The coin looks like full size, how can it be one
        fourth the weight?

        How can a fragment like this get to the press anyways?

        --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

        > This 2004-P nickel was struck off-center on a
        > straight-clipped
        > planchet:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933848057
        >
        > I'm not sure that the current price is warranted, as
        > the obverse
        > appears to have some severe abrasions at the top of
        > Jefferson's head
        > and on the area to the right of it.
        >
        > It doesn't seem to be a weak strike or a
        > strike-through error because:
        >
        > 1. There is no corresponding weakness on the reverse
        > 2. The abraded appearance shows up on both the
        > die-struck and
        > unstruck areas of the coin.
        > 3. The affected area is quite flat and appears to
        > show fine parallel
        > striations.
        >
        > Far from "choice condition", as far as I can tell.

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • LALASD4
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
          He got the wrong weight for a normal nickel.

          United States, Jefferson Nickel, 2004, Struck on Light
          Weight Fragment of 4.4 Grams, Normal Weight is 17.5
          Grams. Condition - Choice Uncirculated. Spectacular
          Error.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
            Yes, normal weight is 5 grams. The reported weight reduction seems
            to be in line with the size of the clip.

            I wonder if this coin would slab between MS-62 and MS-64, as have so
            many other seriously abraded errors that I've seen over the years.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, LALASD4