Wild Mexican error

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Nov 1, 2001
      Here's a bizarre error from Allan
      one peso dies and that was brockaged by an already
      struck 1976 one peso coin that was sitting on the anvil
      die.<br><br>So here we have four unusual
      another denomination<br>3. Two years separation between
      dates<br>4. Larger coin (10 pesos), struck by smaller dies (1
      peso).<br><br>One would imagine that this would have to have had
      some help, but anything's possible. This coin puts me
      in mind of the bizarre errors that came out the
      Canadian mint between 1976 and 1981 and that everyone
      acknowledges are "assisted errors".
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.