Re: Strange struck-through cent

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
      It's possible that the custard-like texture on the reverse is from a
      deteriorated reverse die cap. After all, the coin is broadstruck, so
      a reverse die cap could conceivably be thinned to this extent from
      numerous strikes.

      The custard-like texture on the obverse could then be from a late-
      stage obverse die cap that formed at just about the same time as the
      reverse die cap. The doubled date could be from a shift or rotation
      of the obverse die cap just prior to the strike that created this
      coin.

      This hypothesis still does not explain the clear outlines of the
      larger date, or the dramatic difference in size between the two
      dates. But it's the best I can do on short notice.

      If I am correct, then this would be a "sandwich strike" of a sort.
      It's odd that the coin is only slightly expanded, despite the added
      thicknesses on both die faces. Some other things were probably going
      wrong, such as an abnormally great die spacing.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
        I now notice that, although the coin is expanded, the peripheral
        design elements are present at the very edge of the coin. This is
        also where they are clearest and least distorted.

        I may be that this coin IS a double strike and that the first strike
        was perfectly normal. It may have then been kicked into a nearby
        striking chamber in which both dies were covered by deteriorated die
        caps. It was then struck again.

        This would explain the clarity of the peripheral design elements, the
        clarity and flattish appearance of the larger date, the presence of
        peripheral design elements at the outer margin of the coin, and the
        doubling seen on both the obverse and the reverse.

        If this is the case, then the close alignment of first and second
        strikes would be coincidental. Is this too farfetched a
        possibility? I couldn't really say. But I think this fits the facts
        better than my initial guesses.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          Such an error would not be wholly unprecedented. I have an in-
          collar, flipover, double-struck nickel in which the second strike was
          also a capped die strike. I got it from Fred Weinberg several years
          ago. He had a second nickel just like it. I just wish I had had the
          presence of mind to purchase both of them.

          On my specimen, I can't tell if the first strike was also a capped
          die strike, as the evidence of the first strike is almost obliterated
          on the reverse face of the second strike.

          <mdia1@a...> wrote:

          > I may be that this coin IS a double strike and that the first
          strike
          > was perfectly normal. It may have then been kicked into a nearby
          > striking chamber in which both dies were covered by deteriorated
          die
          > caps. It was then struck again.
        • Jon Sullivan
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi Mike,

            Thanks for the responses. They sound plausible, and of course I know
            you can't say for sure without seeing the coin, but I knew you'd have
            an opinion, which is why I asked :-)

            Thanks,
            Jon

            On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
            > <errcoins@b...> wrote:
            > > Hi Mike,
            > >
            > > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
            > now.
            > > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
            > >
            > > Jon
            >
            > I assume you mean this coin:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833
            >
            > I confess that I am baffled by this one.  I have seen this custard-
            > like texture before, but only on the obverse face.  I had previously
            > assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap.  Its presence on
            > both faces is very puzzling.
            >
            > The doubled date is odd, too.  The stronger date, while weak, has
            > sharp outlines.  That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
            > strike.  The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd.  It
            > would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
            > incuse.
            >
            > I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims.  The
            > doubling may be due to some other cause.
            >
            > Whatever it is, it is fascinating.

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rafael Delgado
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
              Could this have anything to do with (grease n' metal-dust)
              dirty dies?
              Rafael

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                That's possible but, again, I've previously only seen this texture
                associated with the obverse (hammer) die. That suggests a die cap or
                cap-like obstruction. I've also seen apparent shifted cap strikes
                with this texture, which would again support the die cap
                interpretation.

                On the other hand, "grease strikes" are often found on both dies,
                while I've never seen a coin struck by a die cap on both dies.

                So I will admit that all my hypotheses are saddled with an
                unacceptably high degree of uncertainty.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 9, 2004
                  I edged out midnitesurfer for the chance to thoroughly examine this
                  specimen. I hope I can narrow down the possibilities after I get
                  it. I will give you all a full report next week (or as soon as it
                  arrives).

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3933508833

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                    I just received the coin that stimulated quite a bit of conjecture:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3933508833

                    The last hypothesis I introduced appears to be the correct one. It
                    looks like the first strike was normal (or nearly so) and the second
                    strike was between a different set of dies that were covered by die
                    caps or cap-like obstructions. The perfect alignment between the two
                    strikes appears to be coincidental.

                    The coin is expanded to beyond the size of a nickel. The clearer of
                    the two dates (2000) is flattened in a way that can only be
                    accomplished through a second strike. The outer parts of the
                    peripheral letters are clear and reach the rim, despite the
                    significant expansion of the coin. This is also characteristic of a
                    double strike beneath a cap or planchet. Farther toward the center
                    of the coin those same letters are flattened in the same way that the
                    date is. The manner of flattening is very similar to my double
                    struck nickel in which the second strike was through a late-stage die
                    cap.

                    So this coin represents a remarkable series of events.

                    Thanks, Rich!

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                      As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                      second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                      strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                      other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                      like obstructions qualify.

                      Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                        The perfect alignment between the first and second strike remains
                        disturbing. There is only a 1 in 360 chance that a coin will end up
                        in this orientation when shunted to a different striking chamber.
                        Still, all the remaining physical evidence points to this being the
                        case.

                        <mdia1@a...> wrote:

                        > As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                        > second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                        > strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                        > other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                        > like obstructions qualify.
                        >
                        > Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.
                      • Rich Schemmer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                          Your welcome, Mike I knew this coin would get your attention as It
                          did mine when it was offered to me at the ANA.
                          Thanx
                          Rich
                          Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                          http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                            It's also possible that the perfect alignment between first and
                            second strikes could be due to an assist from a mischeivous mint
                            worker. Maybe someone just wanted to see what a struck cent would
                            look like when placed between a pair of die caps. Anything's
                            possible.

                            This is certainly one for the books.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                              Another neat thing to appreciate is that this coin provides one
                              exception to the rule that you cannot get an enlarged coin that shows
                              expansion of the raised design on both faces.

                              There are lots of "giant coins" out there that show proportional
                              expansion on both faces. These are allegedly hammered between two
                              pieces of leather to acheive this effect.

                              The coin I got from Rich obviously looks nothing like these fakes,
                              except that both faces do show expansion of the design.

                              Any full sandwich strike on a struck coin would also be expected to
                              show expansion of the design on both faces. I haven't seen one yet.
                              I have seen full sandwich strikes with a full brockage on the obverse
                              and an expanded raised design on the reverse. I have one
                              (regrettfully mangled after the strike) and Glen Burger had one. I
                              suspect that if you were able to pry apart some bonded coins, you
                              will find expansion of the raised design of both faces of some of the
                              coins in the stack.

                              I once thought I had a full sandwich strike on an already-struck 2000-
                              D cent. But I now believe that one is a fake.