Re: Double strike or broadstrike?

  • Rich Johnson
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it could
      be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
        I see it now. I'm not sure what it is. I doubt it's a letter
        trace. I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind. Perhaps
        it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
        striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.

        <rdjrich@a...> wrote:

        > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
        could
        > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.
      • Jon Sullivan
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          Hi Mike,

          Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right now.
          the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?

          Jon

          On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 11:00 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

          > I see it now.  I'm not sure what it is.  I doubt it's a letter
          > trace.  I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind.  Perhaps
          > it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
          > striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Johnson"
          > <rdjrich@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
          > could
          > > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
            <errcoins@b...> wrote:
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
            now.
            > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
            >
            > Jon

            I assume you mean this coin:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833

            I confess that I am baffled by this one. I have seen this custard-
            like texture before, but only on the obverse face. I had previously
            assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap. Its presence on
            both faces is very puzzling.

            The doubled date is odd, too. The stronger date, while weak, has
            sharp outlines. That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
            strike. The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd. It
            would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
            incuse.

            I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims. The
            doubling may be due to some other cause.

            Whatever it is, it is fascinating.
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
              It's possible that the custard-like texture on the reverse is from a
              deteriorated reverse die cap. After all, the coin is broadstruck, so
              a reverse die cap could conceivably be thinned to this extent from
              numerous strikes.

              The custard-like texture on the obverse could then be from a late-
              stage obverse die cap that formed at just about the same time as the
              reverse die cap. The doubled date could be from a shift or rotation
              of the obverse die cap just prior to the strike that created this
              coin.

              This hypothesis still does not explain the clear outlines of the
              larger date, or the dramatic difference in size between the two
              dates. But it's the best I can do on short notice.

              If I am correct, then this would be a "sandwich strike" of a sort.
              It's odd that the coin is only slightly expanded, despite the added
              thicknesses on both die faces. Some other things were probably going
              wrong, such as an abnormally great die spacing.

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                I now notice that, although the coin is expanded, the peripheral
                design elements are present at the very edge of the coin. This is
                also where they are clearest and least distorted.

                I may be that this coin IS a double strike and that the first strike
                was perfectly normal. It may have then been kicked into a nearby
                striking chamber in which both dies were covered by deteriorated die
                caps. It was then struck again.

                This would explain the clarity of the peripheral design elements, the
                clarity and flattish appearance of the larger date, the presence of
                peripheral design elements at the outer margin of the coin, and the
                doubling seen on both the obverse and the reverse.

                If this is the case, then the close alignment of first and second
                strikes would be coincidental. Is this too farfetched a
                possibility? I couldn't really say. But I think this fits the facts
                better than my initial guesses.

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Such an error would not be wholly unprecedented. I have an in-
                  collar, flipover, double-struck nickel in which the second strike was
                  also a capped die strike. I got it from Fred Weinberg several years
                  ago. He had a second nickel just like it. I just wish I had had the
                  presence of mind to purchase both of them.

                  On my specimen, I can't tell if the first strike was also a capped
                  die strike, as the evidence of the first strike is almost obliterated
                  on the reverse face of the second strike.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Hi Mike,

                    Thanks for the responses. They sound plausible, and of course I know
                    you can't say for sure without seeing the coin, but I knew you'd have
                    an opinion, which is why I asked :-)

                    Thanks,
                    Jon

                    On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                    > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
                    > <errcoins@b...> wrote:
                    > > Hi Mike,
                    > >
                    > > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
                    > now.
                    > > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
                    > >
                    > > Jon
                    >
                    > I assume you mean this coin:
                    >
                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                    > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833
                    >
                    > I confess that I am baffled by this one.  I have seen this custard-
                    > like texture before, but only on the obverse face.  I had previously
                    > assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap.  Its presence on
                    > both faces is very puzzling.
                    >
                    > The doubled date is odd, too.  The stronger date, while weak, has
                    > sharp outlines.  That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
                    > strike.  The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd.  It
                    > would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
                    > incuse.
                    >
                    > I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims.  The
                    > doubling may be due to some other cause.
                    >
                    > Whatever it is, it is fascinating.

                    <image.tiff>

                    <image.tiff>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rafael Delgado
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Could this have anything to do with (grease n' metal-dust)
                      dirty dies?
                      Rafael

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                        That's possible but, again, I've previously only seen this texture
                        associated with the obverse (hammer) die. That suggests a die cap or
                        cap-like obstruction. I've also seen apparent shifted cap strikes
                        with this texture, which would again support the die cap
                        interpretation.

                        On the other hand, "grease strikes" are often found on both dies,
                        while I've never seen a coin struck by a die cap on both dies.

                        So I will admit that all my hypotheses are saddled with an
                        unacceptably high degree of uncertainty.

                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 9, 2004
                          I edged out midnitesurfer for the chance to thoroughly examine this
                          specimen. I hope I can narrow down the possibilities after I get
                          it. I will give you all a full report next week (or as soon as it
                          arrives).

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3933508833

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                            I just received the coin that stimulated quite a bit of conjecture:

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3933508833

                            The last hypothesis I introduced appears to be the correct one. It
                            looks like the first strike was normal (or nearly so) and the second
                            strike was between a different set of dies that were covered by die
                            caps or cap-like obstructions. The perfect alignment between the two
                            strikes appears to be coincidental.

                            The coin is expanded to beyond the size of a nickel. The clearer of
                            the two dates (2000) is flattened in a way that can only be
                            accomplished through a second strike. The outer parts of the
                            peripheral letters are clear and reach the rim, despite the
                            significant expansion of the coin. This is also characteristic of a
                            double strike beneath a cap or planchet. Farther toward the center
                            of the coin those same letters are flattened in the same way that the
                            date is. The manner of flattening is very similar to my double
                            struck nickel in which the second strike was through a late-stage die
                            cap.

                            So this coin represents a remarkable series of events.

                            Thanks, Rich!

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                              As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                              second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                              strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                              other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                              like obstructions qualify.

                              Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                The perfect alignment between the first and second strike remains
                                disturbing. There is only a 1 in 360 chance that a coin will end up
                                in this orientation when shunted to a different striking chamber.
                                Still, all the remaining physical evidence points to this being the
                                case.

                                <mdia1@a...> wrote:

                                > As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                                > second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                                > strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                                > other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                                > like obstructions qualify.
                                >
                                > Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.
                              • Rich Schemmer
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                  Your welcome, Mike I knew this coin would get your attention as It
                                  did mine when it was offered to me at the ANA.
                                  Thanx
                                  Rich
                                  Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                  http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                    It's also possible that the perfect alignment between first and
                                    second strikes could be due to an assist from a mischeivous mint
                                    worker. Maybe someone just wanted to see what a struck cent would
                                    look like when placed between a pair of die caps. Anything's
                                    possible.

                                    This is certainly one for the books.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                      Another neat thing to appreciate is that this coin provides one
                                      exception to the rule that you cannot get an enlarged coin that shows
                                      expansion of the raised design on both faces.

                                      There are lots of "giant coins" out there that show proportional
                                      expansion on both faces. These are allegedly hammered between two
                                      pieces of leather to acheive this effect.

                                      The coin I got from Rich obviously looks nothing like these fakes,
                                      except that both faces do show expansion of the design.

                                      Any full sandwich strike on a struck coin would also be expected to
                                      show expansion of the design on both faces. I haven't seen one yet.
                                      I have seen full sandwich strikes with a full brockage on the obverse
                                      and an expanded raised design on the reverse. I have one
                                      (regrettfully mangled after the strike) and Glen Burger had one. I
                                      suspect that if you were able to pry apart some bonded coins, you
                                      will find expansion of the raised design of both faces of some of the
                                      coins in the stack.

                                      I once thought I had a full sandwich strike on an already-struck 2000-
                                      D cent. But I now believe that one is a fake.