Re: Double strike or broadstrike?

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Johnson"
      <rdjrich@a...> wrote:

      > Added another scan of parts of the broadstrike dime. Has a strange
      > imprint around the date area. A tilted "L" with a dot in it..

      I don't see the "L". Sorry.
    • Rich Johnson
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
        OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it could
        be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
          I see it now. I'm not sure what it is. I doubt it's a letter
          trace. I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind. Perhaps
          it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
          striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.

          <rdjrich@a...> wrote:

          > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
          could
          > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.
        • Jon Sullivan
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi Mike,

            Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right now.
            the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?

            Jon

            On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 11:00 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

            > I see it now.  I'm not sure what it is.  I doubt it's a letter
            > trace.  I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind.  Perhaps
            > it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
            > striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.
            >
            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Johnson"
            > <rdjrich@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
            > could
            > > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
              <errcoins@b...> wrote:
              > Hi Mike,
              >
              > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
              now.
              > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
              >
              > Jon

              I assume you mean this coin:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
              ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833

              I confess that I am baffled by this one. I have seen this custard-
              like texture before, but only on the obverse face. I had previously
              assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap. Its presence on
              both faces is very puzzling.

              The doubled date is odd, too. The stronger date, while weak, has
              sharp outlines. That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
              strike. The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd. It
              would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
              incuse.

              I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims. The
              doubling may be due to some other cause.

              Whatever it is, it is fascinating.
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                It's possible that the custard-like texture on the reverse is from a
                deteriorated reverse die cap. After all, the coin is broadstruck, so
                a reverse die cap could conceivably be thinned to this extent from
                numerous strikes.

                The custard-like texture on the obverse could then be from a late-
                stage obverse die cap that formed at just about the same time as the
                reverse die cap. The doubled date could be from a shift or rotation
                of the obverse die cap just prior to the strike that created this
                coin.

                This hypothesis still does not explain the clear outlines of the
                larger date, or the dramatic difference in size between the two
                dates. But it's the best I can do on short notice.

                If I am correct, then this would be a "sandwich strike" of a sort.
                It's odd that the coin is only slightly expanded, despite the added
                thicknesses on both die faces. Some other things were probably going
                wrong, such as an abnormally great die spacing.

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                  I now notice that, although the coin is expanded, the peripheral
                  design elements are present at the very edge of the coin. This is
                  also where they are clearest and least distorted.

                  I may be that this coin IS a double strike and that the first strike
                  was perfectly normal. It may have then been kicked into a nearby
                  striking chamber in which both dies were covered by deteriorated die
                  caps. It was then struck again.

                  This would explain the clarity of the peripheral design elements, the
                  clarity and flattish appearance of the larger date, the presence of
                  peripheral design elements at the outer margin of the coin, and the
                  doubling seen on both the obverse and the reverse.

                  If this is the case, then the close alignment of first and second
                  strikes would be coincidental. Is this too farfetched a
                  possibility? I couldn't really say. But I think this fits the facts
                  better than my initial guesses.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Such an error would not be wholly unprecedented. I have an in-
                    collar, flipover, double-struck nickel in which the second strike was
                    also a capped die strike. I got it from Fred Weinberg several years
                    ago. He had a second nickel just like it. I just wish I had had the
                    presence of mind to purchase both of them.

                    On my specimen, I can't tell if the first strike was also a capped
                    die strike, as the evidence of the first strike is almost obliterated
                    on the reverse face of the second strike.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                      Hi Mike,

                      Thanks for the responses. They sound plausible, and of course I know
                      you can't say for sure without seeing the coin, but I knew you'd have
                      an opinion, which is why I asked :-)

                      Thanks,
                      Jon

                      On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
                      > <errcoins@b...> wrote:
                      > > Hi Mike,
                      > >
                      > > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
                      > now.
                      > > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
                      > >
                      > > Jon
                      >
                      > I assume you mean this coin:
                      >
                      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                      > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833
                      >
                      > I confess that I am baffled by this one.  I have seen this custard-
                      > like texture before, but only on the obverse face.  I had previously
                      > assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap.  Its presence on
                      > both faces is very puzzling.
                      >
                      > The doubled date is odd, too.  The stronger date, while weak, has
                      > sharp outlines.  That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
                      > strike.  The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd.  It
                      > would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
                      > incuse.
                      >
                      > I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims.  The
                      > doubling may be due to some other cause.
                      >
                      > Whatever it is, it is fascinating.

                      <image.tiff>

                      <image.tiff>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Rafael Delgado
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Could this have anything to do with (grease n' metal-dust)
                        dirty dies?
                        Rafael

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                          That's possible but, again, I've previously only seen this texture
                          associated with the obverse (hammer) die. That suggests a die cap or
                          cap-like obstruction. I've also seen apparent shifted cap strikes
                          with this texture, which would again support the die cap
                          interpretation.

                          On the other hand, "grease strikes" are often found on both dies,
                          while I've never seen a coin struck by a die cap on both dies.

                          So I will admit that all my hypotheses are saddled with an
                          unacceptably high degree of uncertainty.

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 9, 2004
                            I edged out midnitesurfer for the chance to thoroughly examine this
                            specimen. I hope I can narrow down the possibilities after I get
                            it. I will give you all a full report next week (or as soon as it
                            arrives).

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3933508833

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                              I just received the coin that stimulated quite a bit of conjecture:

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3933508833

                              The last hypothesis I introduced appears to be the correct one. It
                              looks like the first strike was normal (or nearly so) and the second
                              strike was between a different set of dies that were covered by die
                              caps or cap-like obstructions. The perfect alignment between the two
                              strikes appears to be coincidental.

                              The coin is expanded to beyond the size of a nickel. The clearer of
                              the two dates (2000) is flattened in a way that can only be
                              accomplished through a second strike. The outer parts of the
                              peripheral letters are clear and reach the rim, despite the
                              significant expansion of the coin. This is also characteristic of a
                              double strike beneath a cap or planchet. Farther toward the center
                              of the coin those same letters are flattened in the same way that the
                              date is. The manner of flattening is very similar to my double
                              struck nickel in which the second strike was through a late-stage die
                              cap.

                              So this coin represents a remarkable series of events.

                              Thanks, Rich!

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                                As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                                second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                                strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                                other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                                like obstructions qualify.

                                Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                  The perfect alignment between the first and second strike remains
                                  disturbing. There is only a 1 in 360 chance that a coin will end up
                                  in this orientation when shunted to a different striking chamber.
                                  Still, all the remaining physical evidence points to this being the
                                  case.

                                  <mdia1@a...> wrote:

                                  > As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                                  > second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                                  > strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                                  > other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                                  > like obstructions qualify.
                                  >
                                  > Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.
                                • Rich Schemmer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                    Your welcome, Mike I knew this coin would get your attention as It
                                    did mine when it was offered to me at the ANA.
                                    Thanx
                                    Rich
                                    Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                    http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                      It's also possible that the perfect alignment between first and
                                      second strikes could be due to an assist from a mischeivous mint
                                      worker. Maybe someone just wanted to see what a struck cent would
                                      look like when placed between a pair of die caps. Anything's
                                      possible.

                                      This is certainly one for the books.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                        Another neat thing to appreciate is that this coin provides one
                                        exception to the rule that you cannot get an enlarged coin that shows
                                        expansion of the raised design on both faces.

                                        There are lots of "giant coins" out there that show proportional
                                        expansion on both faces. These are allegedly hammered between two
                                        pieces of leather to acheive this effect.

                                        The coin I got from Rich obviously looks nothing like these fakes,
                                        except that both faces do show expansion of the design.

                                        Any full sandwich strike on a struck coin would also be expected to
                                        show expansion of the design on both faces. I haven't seen one yet.
                                        I have seen full sandwich strikes with a full brockage on the obverse
                                        and an expanded raised design on the reverse. I have one
                                        (regrettfully mangled after the strike) and Glen Burger had one. I
                                        suspect that if you were able to pry apart some bonded coins, you
                                        will find expansion of the raised design of both faces of some of the
                                        coins in the stack.

                                        I once thought I had a full sandwich strike on an already-struck 2000-
                                        D cent. But I now believe that one is a fake.