Re: Double strike or broadstrike?

  • Rich Johnson
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      Added another scan of parts of the broadstrike dime. Has a strange
      imprint around the date area. A tilted "L" with a dot in it.. The
      photo is huge brdll
      Thaks for you info on first photo, Mike.

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > Yes, this is a perfect example of what some collectors have
      referred
      > to as "forced broadstrikes" while others consider them to be double
      > strikes.
      >
      > I myself am a fence-sitter.
      >
      > The edge of this coin is beveled and the reeding is smeared.
      That's

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
        <rdjrich@a...> wrote:

        > Added another scan of parts of the broadstrike dime. Has a strange
        > imprint around the date area. A tilted "L" with a dot in it..

        I don't see the "L". Sorry.
      • Rich Johnson
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
          OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it could
          be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
            I see it now. I'm not sure what it is. I doubt it's a letter
            trace. I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind. Perhaps
            it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
            striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.

            <rdjrich@a...> wrote:

            > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
            could
            > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.
          • Jon Sullivan
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
              Hi Mike,

              Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right now.
              the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?

              Jon

              On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 11:00 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

              > I see it now.  I'm not sure what it is.  I doubt it's a letter
              > trace.  I suspect it's a strike-thru error of some kind.  Perhaps
              > it's from an angular bit of coin metal that remained behind in the
              > striking chamber from a previous pile-up or some other other mishap.
              >
              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Johnson"
              > <rdjrich@a...> wrote:
              > >
              > > OK. Added another scan. Brining it up closer, it looks like it
              > could
              > > be an "A" from the reverse. Huh? Probably doesn't mean much any way.

              <image.tiff>

              <image.tiff>

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
                <errcoins@b...> wrote:
                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
                now.
                > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
                >
                > Jon

                I assume you mean this coin:

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833

                I confess that I am baffled by this one. I have seen this custard-
                like texture before, but only on the obverse face. I had previously
                assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap. Its presence on
                both faces is very puzzling.

                The doubled date is odd, too. The stronger date, while weak, has
                sharp outlines. That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
                strike. The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd. It
                would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
                incuse.

                I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims. The
                doubling may be due to some other cause.

                Whatever it is, it is fascinating.
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                  It's possible that the custard-like texture on the reverse is from a
                  deteriorated reverse die cap. After all, the coin is broadstruck, so
                  a reverse die cap could conceivably be thinned to this extent from
                  numerous strikes.

                  The custard-like texture on the obverse could then be from a late-
                  stage obverse die cap that formed at just about the same time as the
                  reverse die cap. The doubled date could be from a shift or rotation
                  of the obverse die cap just prior to the strike that created this
                  coin.

                  This hypothesis still does not explain the clear outlines of the
                  larger date, or the dramatic difference in size between the two
                  dates. But it's the best I can do on short notice.

                  If I am correct, then this would be a "sandwich strike" of a sort.
                  It's odd that the coin is only slightly expanded, despite the added
                  thicknesses on both die faces. Some other things were probably going
                  wrong, such as an abnormally great die spacing.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                    I now notice that, although the coin is expanded, the peripheral
                    design elements are present at the very edge of the coin. This is
                    also where they are clearest and least distorted.

                    I may be that this coin IS a double strike and that the first strike
                    was perfectly normal. It may have then been kicked into a nearby
                    striking chamber in which both dies were covered by deteriorated die
                    caps. It was then struck again.

                    This would explain the clarity of the peripheral design elements, the
                    clarity and flattish appearance of the larger date, the presence of
                    peripheral design elements at the outer margin of the coin, and the
                    doubling seen on both the obverse and the reverse.

                    If this is the case, then the close alignment of first and second
                    strikes would be coincidental. Is this too farfetched a
                    possibility? I couldn't really say. But I think this fits the facts
                    better than my initial guesses.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                      Such an error would not be wholly unprecedented. I have an in-
                      collar, flipover, double-struck nickel in which the second strike was
                      also a capped die strike. I got it from Fred Weinberg several years
                      ago. He had a second nickel just like it. I just wish I had had the
                      presence of mind to purchase both of them.

                      On my specimen, I can't tell if the first strike was also a capped
                      die strike, as the evidence of the first strike is almost obliterated
                      on the reverse face of the second strike.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                        Hi Mike,

                        Thanks for the responses. They sound plausible, and of course I know
                        you can't say for sure without seeing the coin, but I knew you'd have
                        an opinion, which is why I asked :-)

                        Thanks,
                        Jon

                        On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sullivan
                        > <errcoins@b...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Mike,
                        > >
                        > > Did you see the cent strike through that Rich has on eBay right
                        > now.
                        > > the one which is doubled-sided? Any idea as to how it was made?
                        > >
                        > > Jon
                        >
                        > I assume you mean this coin:
                        >
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                        > ViewItem&category=524&item=3933508833
                        >
                        > I confess that I am baffled by this one.  I have seen this custard-
                        > like texture before, but only on the obverse face.  I had previously
                        > assumed that it was from an oddly wrinkled die cap.  Its presence on
                        > both faces is very puzzling.
                        >
                        > The doubled date is odd, too.  The stronger date, while weak, has
                        > sharp outlines.  That's not what you'd expect in a capped die
                        > strike.  The weaker date appears smaller, which is also odd.  It
                        > would be interesting to hear whether the smaller date is raised or
                        > incuse.
                        >
                        > I don't know if the cent is double-struck, as Rich claims.  The
                        > doubling may be due to some other cause.
                        >
                        > Whatever it is, it is fascinating.

                        <image.tiff>

                        <image.tiff>

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Rafael Delgado
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                          Could this have anything to do with (grease n' metal-dust)
                          dirty dies?
                          Rafael

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                            That's possible but, again, I've previously only seen this texture
                            associated with the obverse (hammer) die. That suggests a die cap or
                            cap-like obstruction. I've also seen apparent shifted cap strikes
                            with this texture, which would again support the die cap
                            interpretation.

                            On the other hand, "grease strikes" are often found on both dies,
                            while I've never seen a coin struck by a die cap on both dies.

                            So I will admit that all my hypotheses are saddled with an
                            unacceptably high degree of uncertainty.

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 9, 2004
                              I edged out midnitesurfer for the chance to thoroughly examine this
                              specimen. I hope I can narrow down the possibilities after I get
                              it. I will give you all a full report next week (or as soon as it
                              arrives).

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3933508833

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                                I just received the coin that stimulated quite a bit of conjecture:

                                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3933508833

                                The last hypothesis I introduced appears to be the correct one. It
                                looks like the first strike was normal (or nearly so) and the second
                                strike was between a different set of dies that were covered by die
                                caps or cap-like obstructions. The perfect alignment between the two
                                strikes appears to be coincidental.

                                The coin is expanded to beyond the size of a nickel. The clearer of
                                the two dates (2000) is flattened in a way that can only be
                                accomplished through a second strike. The outer parts of the
                                peripheral letters are clear and reach the rim, despite the
                                significant expansion of the coin. This is also characteristic of a
                                double strike beneath a cap or planchet. Farther toward the center
                                of the coin those same letters are flattened in the same way that the
                                date is. The manner of flattening is very similar to my double
                                struck nickel in which the second strike was through a late-stage die
                                cap.

                                So this coin represents a remarkable series of events.

                                Thanks, Rich!

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 18, 2004
                                  As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                                  second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                                  strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                                  other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                                  like obstructions qualify.

                                  Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                    The perfect alignment between the first and second strike remains
                                    disturbing. There is only a 1 in 360 chance that a coin will end up
                                    in this orientation when shunted to a different striking chamber.
                                    Still, all the remaining physical evidence points to this being the
                                    case.

                                    <mdia1@a...> wrote:

                                    > As to whether this would qualify as a "full sandwich strike" on the
                                    > second strike, that would be iffy. Generally the term "sandwich
                                    > strike" is applied to a coin or planchet that is struck between two
                                    > other coins or planchets. I don't think deteriorated caps or cap-
                                    > like obstructions qualify.
                                    >
                                    > Still, it's a pretty neat set of circumstances.
                                  • Rich Schemmer
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                      Your welcome, Mike I knew this coin would get your attention as It
                                      did mine when it was offered to me at the ANA.
                                      Thanx
                                      Rich
                                      Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                      http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                        It's also possible that the perfect alignment between first and
                                        second strikes could be due to an assist from a mischeivous mint
                                        worker. Maybe someone just wanted to see what a struck cent would
                                        look like when placed between a pair of die caps. Anything's
                                        possible.

                                        This is certainly one for the books.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 19, 2004
                                          Another neat thing to appreciate is that this coin provides one
                                          exception to the rule that you cannot get an enlarged coin that shows
                                          expansion of the raised design on both faces.

                                          There are lots of "giant coins" out there that show proportional
                                          expansion on both faces. These are allegedly hammered between two
                                          pieces of leather to acheive this effect.

                                          The coin I got from Rich obviously looks nothing like these fakes,
                                          except that both faces do show expansion of the design.

                                          Any full sandwich strike on a struck coin would also be expected to
                                          show expansion of the design on both faces. I haven't seen one yet.
                                          I have seen full sandwich strikes with a full brockage on the obverse
                                          and an expanded raised design on the reverse. I have one
                                          (regrettfully mangled after the strike) and Glen Burger had one. I
                                          suspect that if you were able to pry apart some bonded coins, you
                                          will find expansion of the raised design of both faces of some of the
                                          coins in the stack.

                                          I once thought I had a full sandwich strike on an already-struck 2000-
                                          D cent. But I now believe that one is a fake.