RE: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Interesting dropped letter error

  • Jason Renaud
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004

      Hi Mike-

      Something really bothers me about this coin and I hope you can explain it to me.  Why does the light source seem to come from 2 opposite directions?  Are dropped letter incused?  They must be or this picture was faked.

      Thanks-

      Jason

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
        The dropped letters are incuse. It's easier to see that this is the
        case if you download the images to your computer and flip them 180
        degrees. Their appearance as raised letters in the auction photos is
        a familiar optical illusion.

        A genuine dropped letter should "flow over" any normal design
        elements that they cross. In other words, they will be detectable on
        top of the normal elements, but the depth will be no greater than in
        the field. That appears to be the case in this coin.

        As for the lighting, it appears to me that it is coming from the
        right in both photos.

        The seller, Brian Stone, is an honest, knowledgeable collector. He's
        always happy to make good on any mistake. So I have no qualms about
        this purchase.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Renaud"

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
          Now that I have the coin, I can confirm that it is a genuine dropped
          letter error. I also know why there are two adjacent letters
          represented (the "ES" of STATES). The area between and around these
          two letters is a little rough, indicating that the two plugs were
          held together by a thin layer of compacted gunk that extended past
          the confines of the two letters. "Grease strikes" and "filled die
          errors" are often characterized by this texture. The compacted gunk
          has a relatively rough texture.

          The incuse letters do indeed "flow over" the design elements that
          they cross, and there is no pressure ridge at the borders of the
          incuse letters.

          I'm quite pleased.