Looks like pre-strike damage

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2004
      Here's a damaged chain strike cent, but the damage appears to have
      occurred before the strike. The band of exposed zinc on the upset
      rim in the unstruck area continues into the struck area. The design
      is not affected here.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2010
        I don't think this is a straight clip, as advertised:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380248227883

        Unlike a straight clip, there is a "hook" at one end and both edges appear beveled. The flecks of (exposed? struck-in?)copper on the reverse are also consistent with pre-strike damage.

        Anyway, the price was right, so I bought it. I like pre-strike damage, especially when part of the coin is torn off, pinched off, or sheared off.
      • Jerry Jaske
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2010
          Nice looking coin, Mike.  It looks more like a ragged end clip than a straight clip.  I wonder why the copper core doesn't show up along that beveled edge on the obverse.
          Could be it was an end of stock blank and the nickel was rolled over the copper at the end.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2010
            The edge is too smooth and too straight for a ragged clip, in my opinion. The fact that the edge is apparently beveled on both faces would seem to support some sort of pinching action. A pinching action would tend to drag the clad layers over the edge, hiding the copper core. I'll let you know what I see when I get it.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jaske <btownkid@...> wrote:

            > Nice looking coin, Mike.  It looks more like a ragged end clip than a straight
            > clip.  I wonder why the copper core doesn't show up along that beveled edge on
            > the obverse.
            >
            > Could be it was an end of stock blank and the nickel was rolled over the copper
            > at the end.

          • Travis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2010
              It looks to me the copper showing on the reverse might be exposed rather than struck in.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2010
                Now that I have it in hand, I can definitely say that this is pre-strike damage. The area next to the straight edge is downwarped on the obverse and beveled on the reverse face. Since there's a Blakesley effect, the damage must have occurred after blanking but before upset. The exposed copper on the reverse represents exposure of the copper core due to damage to the clad layer. Naturally, this is something you do not find in association with straight clips.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2010
                  I should also note that the two clad layers have been pinched together, completely hiding the core when the coin is viewed on edge. This is also not characteristic of straight clips.