Re: Quarter on struck cent

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      Oh, one more thing. My fake quarter-on-dime was perfectly centered.
      This quarter-on-cent is also perfectly centered. Obviously, perfect
      centering does not invalidate a determination of authenticity.
      However, the position of a smaller-than-normal planchet within the
      striking chamber will be quite unpredictable. Most off-metals and
      double denomination errors show imperfect centering. Many fakes show
      perfect centering, probably due to laziness on the part of
      counterfeiters who do not want to bother with fabricating a collar
      with perfectly spaced reeding.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
        Yes, volume 1, which deals with fake error coins is must reading. I
        got much of the information for this post from that book.

        Another thing to look for in a genuine silver quarter on struck cent
        is microcopic silver dust embedded in the surface. Not all will have
        it of course, but finding it is additional confirmation that you've
        got the real article.

        I can't see any embedded dust in the auction photo, but I did
        say "microscopic".

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
          I wrote to the seller, Brad Meadows, who is an absolutely stand-up
          guy. He too was suspicious and even had ICG take a second look.
          They said it was good on the second go-round. I suppose that must
          count for something.