Quarter on struck cent

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      Here's a pre-1965 quarter struck on cent from the period 1959-1964

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=524&item=3914663708

      While I have no reason to doubt ICG's determination of authenticity,
      it is worthwhile to note that this time period produced a large
      number of very convincing counterfeits, including double denomination
      errors.

      I once had a ND silver quarter struck over a 1963-D dime. It had
      very nice metal flow at the periphery and the design showed no
      microsopic imperfections that I could detect. Yet ANACS determined
      that it was a counterfeit. The surface of the coin was unusually
      smooth, almost proof-like, and the design was a wee bit mushy. But
      otherwise, it was very convincing.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
        Oh, one more thing. My fake quarter-on-dime was perfectly centered.
        This quarter-on-cent is also perfectly centered. Obviously, perfect
        centering does not invalidate a determination of authenticity.
        However, the position of a smaller-than-normal planchet within the
        striking chamber will be quite unpredictable. Most off-metals and
        double denomination errors show imperfect centering. Many fakes show
        perfect centering, probably due to laziness on the part of
        counterfeiters who do not want to bother with fabricating a collar
        with perfectly spaced reeding.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
          Yes, volume 1, which deals with fake error coins is must reading. I
          got much of the information for this post from that book.

          Another thing to look for in a genuine silver quarter on struck cent
          is microcopic silver dust embedded in the surface. Not all will have
          it of course, but finding it is additional confirmation that you've
          got the real article.

          I can't see any embedded dust in the auction photo, but I did
          say "microscopic".

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
            I wrote to the seller, Brad Meadows, who is an absolutely stand-up
            guy. He too was suspicious and even had ICG take a second look.
            They said it was good on the second go-round. I suppose that must
            count for something.